Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Setting Interface X/X/X ether-options no-auto-negotiation

Posted 09-27-2010 22:05

Hi All,

I was having some problems connecting to a broadcom NIC with the following settings, 

Scenario 1:

NIC: 100/full

Switchport: 100/full

The interface does not come up. However then i configured "set interface X/X/X ether-options no-auto-negotiation" the interface is up and running.

This information is discussed in the "Junos Enterprise Switching - O'Reilly" book, pg 148-149

But just wondering:

1) Why is auto-negotiation need to be disabled when we fixed the speed/duplex? Is there any situation when we need to set auto-negotiate and speed/duplex is fixed? I feel that the no-auto-negotiation is redundant in Scenario 1

2) In Cisco switches, once auto-negotiate is disabled, auto-mdix on the switchport does not work. In Juniper switches , does it also turn off the auto-mdix function on the switchport once no-auto-negotiation is configure? If yes, that at least we can answer my first question. 

Anyone experience this situation before, please share. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Setting Interface X/X/X ether-options no-auto-negotiation

Posted 09-28-2010 08:01

I believe that setting the speed and duplex while leaving auto-negotaition in place is designed so that the settings you set are the maximum values that will be negotiated.  Turning off the negotation protocol will effectively hard-set the speed and duplex at whatever settings you choose.

Ron

• 3.  RE: Setting Interface X/X/X ether-options no-auto-negotiation

Posted 06-07-2011 14:05

Hi,

I get only these options --

root@switch-ex4500# set interfaces xe-0/0/18 ether-options ?
    Possible completions:
    > 802.3ad              IEEE 802.3ad
    + apply-groups         Groups from which to inherit configuration data
    + apply-groups-except  Don't inherit configuration data from these groups
      flow-control         Enable flow control
      loopback             Enable loopback
      no-flow-control      Don't enable flow control
      no-loopback          Don't enable loopback

raj

• 4.  RE: Setting Interface X/X/X ether-options no-auto-negotiation

Posted 07-31-2012 09:56
    Raj, You are working on a EX4500, this is a 1G/10G switch, 100M is not working. So even if the interface comes up after Auto-Nego disable you get trouble. Regards, Fabian.