Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Snapshot On EX3400

Posted 03-14-2017 10:55

We just recently purchased EX3400's as replacements to our legace EX3300's.  I am running 15.1X53-D55.5 on these 3400's.  I used to do a snapshot with the command: request system snapshot media internal slice alternate to copy the partition.  This command does not seem to be present with this new version/hardware.

Can someone inform me how to do a snapshot now or explain why this is no longer present?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Snapshot On EX3400
    Best Answer

Posted 03-14-2017 11:24

The dual root partition (i.e. alternate slices) on EX3300 and other legacy EX switches have been replaced by a structure where Junos is copied on the main "Junos" volume and a recovery snapshot is created on the "OAM" volume after the move to a more recent FreeBSD version.

The equivalent of an alternate slice in the newer structure is the recovery snapshot, where a snapshot of any version can be stored along with the configuration. There is also a concept of non-recovery snapshot, which gets saved in the Junos volume along with the currently running operating system, however due to the size of the storage medium on EX2300/3400, one needs to be careful playing with non-recovery snapshots. It is recommeded that the recovery snapshot be used for the purposes of alternate slices from previous switch models.

The following link provides further details on these concepts:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/concept/understanding-junos-kernel-freedbsd10-ex2300-ex3400.html

• 3.  RE: Snapshot On EX3400

Posted 03-14-2017 12:21

Thanks for the info!!

• 4.  RE: Snapshot On EX3400

Posted 03-15-2017 00:23

You can see here some examples on how to use the recovery and non-recovery snapshots on EX3400/EX2300:

http://nextheader.net/2017/02/23/snapshots-on-ex2300ex3400/

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.