Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Spanning Tree between SRX650 and Cisco 3020s HP Blade Switch.

Posted 12-20-2011 06:19

Hello,

I have SRX650 on cluster and I am having a little problem with the spanning tree. When i set one of my Cisco 3020 switch as root, all vlans starts flapping af random times and causes network outtage until i reboot the SRX650 primary.

Here is my setup, I have node 0 connected to Cisco 3020A through AE0 to PO1, node 1 connected to Cisco 3020B through AE1 to PO1. There is also a SWFAB link between node 0 and node 1.  All the blade servers have connection to both 3020A and 3020B with HP NIC Teaming. What would be the right way to configure spanning tree with this setup? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Spanning Tree between SRX650 and Cisco 3020s HP Blade Switch.

Posted 12-20-2011 15:08

I haven't delved too deeply into this yet, so someone may correct me if I'm wrong...

In order to support switching on a SRX chassis cluster, you need to be running Junos 11.1 or newer.  I assume you are?

I believe, and this is the part I may be wrong about, that you don't use ae interfaces on a cluster, you use reth interfaces and put them into family ethernet-switching.

The spanning tree config should be pretty straightforward, set the reth ports as members of the domain and set your root priority on the switch you want to be root.

*Edit:   This would probably be better in the SRX forum, since switching on an SRX is a little different than switching on an EX, especially when clusters are involved.

• 3.  RE: Spanning Tree between SRX650 and Cisco 3020s HP Blade Switch.
    Best Answer

Posted 12-23-2011 14:15

I was able get the spanning tree working by uinsg RSTP on SRX650 and Rapid-PVST on cisco. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 4.  RE: Spanning Tree between SRX650 and Cisco 3020s HP Blade Switch.

Posted 12-23-2011 19:21

You'd probably have even better luck using VSTP on the SRX, since its a spanning-tree protocol Juniper created specifically to interop with Cisco's proprietary RSTP.