Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Strange comparison string in system->syslog->file default-log-messages

Posted 04-04-2014 14:28

Hey all- I'm trying to clean up a config and I came across an interesting entry under system--syslog. Under the heading file default-log-messages I found this:

file default-log-messages {
    match "(requested 'commit' operation)|(copying configuration to juniper.save)|(c ommit complete)|ifAdminStatus|(FRU power)|(FRU removal)|(FRU insertion)|(link UP)|transition ed|Transferred|transfer-file|(license add)|(license delete)|(package -X update)|(package -X delete) | QFABRIC_NETWORK_NODE_GROUP|QFABRIC_SERVER_NODE_GROUP|QFABRIC_NODE|QF_DIRECTOR_DEVI CE_ADDED|QF_DIRECTOR_DEVICE_REMOVED";
    structured-data;

I think it was put in there earlier for some troubleshooting purposes, but not 100% sure. It's filling up the logs on the switch with all sorts of messages, the most common one is:

Apr 4 21:35:59 KDC_VSCSWQFX3500_0-5 /kernel: vcp-255/1/1: invalid PFE queue counter pairs to copy, src 0xca0cb980, dst 0 - which appears to be mostly a cosmetic issue?)

Anybody got any ideas? I was thinking of just getting rid of it, but it does look like a fairly extensive filter set.

• 2.  RE: Strange comparison string in system->syslog->file default-log-messages
    Best Answer

Posted 04-04-2014 17:09

Usually that log appears when AI Scripts are installed.  I think Junos Space might add it as well when the device is discovered.

If you aren't using AI Scripts (Space's event profiles) you can remove it.  If you are, it will likely cause problems since that log is monitored by them.  If you do remove it without being certain what added it to begin with don't be surprised if it reappears.

-Chad

• 3.  RE: Strange comparison string in system->syslog->file default-log-messages

Posted 04-07-2014 01:40

As ChadM mentioned, that configuration is added by Junos Space.

Based on the platform, different configuration will be applied.

Once you remove this configuration, Junos Space will report the device as Out of Sync.

Regarding the second message, that is only cosmetic. It has no service impact, nor indicates a problem.