Switching

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 10-17-2009 14:59

i have a ex-4200 connected to a J2350. I have /30 address configured on each side. I see arp on each side on the corret interface but no ping response.

Ex-4200

root@r1> show configuration interfaces ge-0/0/1
    unit 0 {
        family inet {
            address 10.0.4.14/30;
        }
    }

{master:0}

root@r1> show arp
    MAC Address       Address         Name                      Interface     Flags
    00:22:83:87:9e:80 10.0.4.13       10.0.4.13                 ge-0/0/1.0    none

J-2350

root@r3# show interfaces ge-0/0/0   
    unit 0 {
        family inet {
            address 10.0.4.13/30;
        }
    }

[edit]

root@r3# run show arp
    MAC Address       Address         Name                      Interface     Flags
    00:23:9c:18:bc:01 10.0.4.14       10.0.4.14                 ge-0/0/0.0    none

i have no idea why i can't ping across this link. There are no filters applied. anybody has any ideas? Could it be related to flow based software for j series. it came with some firewall config but i deleted the entire security section

Message Edited by IOS2JunOS on 10-17-2009 03:58 PM

• 2.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 10-18-2009 11:19
    What version of JUNOS are you running? After 9.4 JUNOS and JUNOS ES router code is bundled so by default the router comes up in a security context. Deletion of the security section could be the cause of your problem.
    Message Edited by muttbarker on 10-18-2009 11:19 AM

• 3.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 10-18-2009 13:49
    i'm running 9.5. . it doesn't make a difference if its in there or not..same results no ping

• 4.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping
    Best Answer

Posted 10-19-2009 14:09
    Did you assign interfaces to a security zone on the router ? Did you allow host inbound traffic service ping on interface or zone level? By default config this isn't allowed!

• 5.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 10-19-2009 14:15
    no I did not. I thought by deleting the security config, it'll allow everything. It'll be kind of ridiculous if I have to do this on a router, it's not a firewall. I'll give it a shot though or downgrade to 9.3

• 6.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 10-19-2009 14:22

adding interface and allow pings works..is there junos for j series without this security crap?

• 7.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 10-19-2009 16:43

As I mentioned after 9.4 JUNOS now has a single code train that includes all of the firewall capability in it. It is also enabled "out of the box" - hence Screenie's post about turning on the appropriate rules.

You can however run the JUNOS code in what is known as "routing context" - that builds out a basic configuration that allows the router to function effectively as just a "router" - here is a link to the documentation on how to do so.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-security/junos-security95/junos-security-admin-guide/factory-defaults-secure-context-to-router-context-section.html

Good luck - this drove me crazy the first time I got a box running JUNOS-ES and I could not ping to itSmiley Mad - understand the frustration - but this will allow you to use it as a router and then if you desire to turn on security if it ever becomes of value to you.

• 8.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 10-20-2009 21:19
    thanks all

• 9.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 08-23-2011 00:38

Hi All,

If we change to "routing context", can we run routnig protocols, BGP, OSPF? I read on wiki that if you delete the securtiy to make it packet based, then the j-series doesn't allow routing protocols to run and it becomes a basic IP router that is useless. Perhaps deleteing the security is different to actually changing to routing context?

Regards

Dinesh

• 10.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 08-23-2011 05:29

Yes you can run routing protocols when you are not in security mode.

• 11.  RE: Strange problem. Can Arp but can't ping

Posted 10-20-2009 20:51

It appears the latest version of packet-based JUNOS for the J-series is 9.3R4.4

It can be found here (assuming you have a software support login for JUNOS): 

http://www.juniper.net/support/csc/swdist-domestic/9.3/#sw

v9.4 and up for J-series is flow-based which means it is JUNOS with Enhanced Services, which has the built in security/firewall code. 

This is essentially the same code the SRX branch boxes use.   Good luck.

-=]NSG[=-

#JUNOS
    #packet-based