Ethernet Switching
Visitor
jonjon

Virtual Chassis Merging Behavior

Hi All,

Anyone have any idea or is there an available article that can answer my question regarding Virtual Chassis behavior. Basically the scenario is we have two seperate Virtual Chassis which has not previously been part of the same Virtual Chassis configuration. They have the same configuration like VLANs, except for the configured port allocations on the member switches which are different among the two Virtual Chassis. We are considering to merge this two Virtual Chassis. The question is, is it possible to merge this two VC without affecting the port allocation on the switches once a new master will take over the merged VC. Your answer would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Jonjon

Super Contributor
ronf

Re: Virtual Chassis Merging Behavior

What I would do is to configure one of the two with the correct port configuration for the newly added switches (if it is currently two 3-member chassis, I would create a configuration for switches 3, 4, and 5 on the first chassis, then add switches from the second chassis into the first as preprovisioned (by serial-number) so that you are sure the port allocations will be correct. Note that this is not a zero-downtime process necessarily, and you should plan this during a maintenance window. Ron
JNCIE-SEC #127
Visitor
jonjon

Re: Virtual Chassis Merging Behavior

Thanks Ron.

Rgrds/Jonjon

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.