Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Virtual Chassis member ID re number

Posted 05-30-2012 22:53

Dear All,

I have 3 member Ex- 4200 virtual chassis set up. I want to re arrange the switch member ID order as its physical order in the Rack.

If I use the command user@SWA-0> request virtual-chassis renumber member-id 3 new-member-id 0 , what will be the impact on the interface configuration and vlan assignment? , Do i need to apply replace pattern ge-3/ with ge-0/ to take effect the previous interface configuration ?

Regards,

Shafi.

• 2.  RE: Virtual Chassis member ID re number

Posted 05-31-2012 06:18
    If you renumber the switches, then yes, you will have to redo the configuration. I would replace ge-0/ with xx-0/, then replace ge-3/ with ge-0/, then replace xx-0/ with ge-3/ (for example). Then, once things are the way that you want them with regards to the virtual-chassis, configure it as preprovisioned where you specify the member ID tied to each serial number. Ron

• 3.  RE: Virtual Chassis member ID re number

Posted 05-31-2012 08:58

Thanks Ron.

I bit confused , why we go for preprovisioned method ?

I wan to reorder the member ID from 1,0 to 0,1 . Can  you please check below changes will do this ?

Number of Member Switch : 2

Current Order : 1,0

Step 1 

-----------

request virtual-chassis renumber member-id 1 new-member-id 2

Now the member  order is  2,0

Step 2

----------

request virtual-chassis renumber member-id 0 new-member-id 1

Now the member order is  2,1

Step3

--------

request virtual-chassis renumber member-id 2 new-member-id 0

Now the order is  0,1

Please correct me if I am wrong.

• 4.  RE: Virtual Chassis member ID re number

Posted 05-31-2012 09:35
    That looks OK by me. We do preprovisioned just to be sure that things don't ever get changed once we set them up. Some early EX code had a few bugs which would cause the chassis to break, and then things would sometimes renumber once they were rebooted. I know it shouldn't happen, but I always want to make sure they stay the way that I set them up. Ron

• 5.  RE: Virtual Chassis member ID re number

Posted 05-31-2012 10:17

Thanks lot Ron. Now after the renumber , do i need to interchange the Interface Vlan assignmet  or it will automaticllay get chnaged when we doing the memebr ID change ?

Regards,

Shafi.

• 6.  RE: Virtual Chassis member ID re number
    Best Answer

Posted 06-01-2012 05:21
    You need to change the interface numbering throughout the entire configuration if the member-id's of the respective switches are changing. Ron

• 7.  RE: Virtual Chassis member ID re number

Posted 06-02-2012 23:58

Yes You are right Ron, I followed below steps and interface numbering changed  throughout the entire steps. Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Step 1 

-----------

request virtual-chassis renumber member-id 1 new-member-id 2

Now the member  order is  2,0

Step 2

----------

request virtual-chassis renumber member-id 0 new-member-id 1

Now the member order is  2,1

Step3

--------

request virtual-chassis renumber member-id 2 new-member-id 0

Now the order is  0,1

• 8.  RE: Virtual Chassis member ID re number

Posted 01-21-2015 10:55

Important to remember though that if you do this you need to be consoled in for that last part (step 3). When you change member 0 to member 1 (step 2) you will lose network comms. You'll need to console in for the final part (changing 2 back to 0). Better to do the whole thing via console and check network comms immediately after finishing.

cheers