Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Warning: Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive

Posted 06-23-2015 12:23

I'm embarassed to even ask this but I have NO understanding or clue what this means.

All I was trying to do was create an interface .. every book and example does it the same way ... but for me .. I keep getting this error when trying to commit? This has to be a simple error on my part, but I am completely lost at what it could be.

all I do (out of the box) after "delete chassis auto-image-upgrade") 

is:

edit interfaces ge-0/0/0

set unit 0 family inet address 10.10.20.122/24

root# commit
    [edit interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family]
    'ethernet-switching'
    Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive
    error: commit failed: (statements constraint check failed)

drives me nuts to see instructions tell you to this and it going well in the examples. 

• 2.  RE: Warning: Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive
    Best Answer

Posted 06-23-2015 13:49

Hi,

if you want to change an interface from ethernet-switching to an "routing" interface you need to remove the

family ethernet-switching

delete interface ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family ethernet-switching

And you can commit the config you just trying to add, family ethernet-switching and family inet cannot be combined together

• 3.  RE: Warning: Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive

Posted 06-24-2015 05:32

This explains a few things, thank you! The entire concept of "family ethernet-switching" is a new one to me, so of course its botching me up as a new user.

• 4.  RE: Warning: Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive

Posted 06-24-2015 10:36

HI,

You are welcome! 🙂 Family ethernet-switching means that the interface can be used as a switch port instead of a router port.

• 5.  RE: Warning: Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive

Posted 07-18-2019 20:09

Sorry, I'm used to other brand switches so i'm having a hard time figuring this out.    I have my firewall connected on port 0/0/0 and it is the DHCP server.    It is a flat network, no vlans.    Our firewall is our DHCP server.   Our network is 10.10.10.x/24.   THe firewall is 10.10.10.1

I need to make it so all the ports can give out DHCP from the firewall.     I want to assign an IP address to the switch.   I tried to assign it to 0/0/0 and it said I couldn't due to the ether family.    So I tried set interfaces me0 unit 0 family inet address 10.10.10.5/24

When I try to set the default gateway it vives me that message about family ethernet-switching mutual exclusive thing.

I can't even ping 10.10.10.5 from the switch I've set the me address on!

My goal is to be able to use the jweb interface and ping the switch from 0/0/0 but still be able to pass traffic to the workstations so they can get dhcp addresses.

• 6.  RE: Warning: Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive

Posted 07-19-2019 03:21

The me0 interface is the physical management interface on the switch.  When you configure this one you will need to do two thinngs

connect the me0 interface to one of the switch ports so it comes up or connect it directly to the firewall

use this layer 3 interface for the next hop of the default route

If you don't want to add a connection you can create a virtual layer three interface in your vlan that has all the switch ports.  This is either a vlan.0 or irb.0 interface depending on which generation of switch model you have.  And that will be added as the layer 3 interface to the vlan stanza.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB11000

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/irb-and-bridging.html

• 7.  RE: Warning: Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive

Posted 07-19-2019 07:59

Thanks.  I only have 1 network connection going to my switch which goes to the dhcp server/firewall.   So what every you recommend please let me know.  I need it to connect to the firewall and the workstations to be able to get DHCP from the firewall.   I need to be able to access the switch through telnet or the web from any direction without using a serial cable.

• 8.  RE: Warning: Family ethernet-switching and rest of the families are mutually exclusive

Posted 07-19-2019 17:14

Which model of switch to you have?

I assume you are still on the factory default configuration?