Ethernet Switching
Juniper Employee
vduggirala

What are some of the day-to-day challenges you face in operating and managing your network?

What are the things that you spend most of the day operating the network? What are some of your pet peeves regarding today's networks? What are some of the cool features that you wished network products  supported to make your life simpler?

Contributor
DanSmart

Re: What are some of the day-to-day challenges you face in operating and managing your network?

See my post on Duplex Mismatch.  HP has a facility called fault finder that runs on the switch, and correlates error conditions and creates an anomaly event.  Duplex Mismatch is the one we see most often.  Fault Finder will send a trap with an URL to the exact event message on the switch.  The event message includes possible causes and solutions to assist in troubleshooting.  Very nice.

I'd like the Web UI to have a "commit confirmed" function so that disasterous changes will not take a switch down for good.  Commit | Compare, Commit Confirmed and Rollback are the best things about the CLI.  Somehow reproducing this functionality in the WebUI would make me start using it.  (Also would help is less graphical ie. higher performance/more responsive.)

-=Dan=-
Distinguished Expert
dfex

Re: What are some of the day-to-day challenges you face in operating and managing your network?

I'd love to see more auto-provisioning networks.  

JUNOS is certainly taking some big steps in the right direction, but I'd like to get to a point where I take a switch out of the box, attach it to the network and using a some combination of LLDP and DHCP the switch finds what version of JUNOS the network is running, upgrades itself, connects to NSM or Space and pulls down it's pre-provisioned configuration.

I know there are elements of this already in place, but we're not quite there yet.

I'd also like to see support for TRILL in order to make deployment less risk-prone than STP variants.

Ben Dale
JNCIP-ENT, JNCIS-SP, JNCIE-SEC #63
Juniper Ambassador
Follow me @labelswitcher
Juniper Employee
fprowse

dfex, you are certainly correct in saying that we have a number of the elements in place already. EX switches can retrieve JUNOS software for an upgrade using DHCP, however they are unable to currently pull down the configuration using this method.

However once an EX has it's config loaded it can "call home" to NSM and retreive it's production configuration and be integrated into the management platform. I recently assisted a customer doing this type of deployment. We loaded a very basic configuration onto the device (IP address, gateway, NSM Config) and then rolled out 100 devices into the network...NSM was prepovisioned to expect the exact EX (based on Serial number) to call home and then the configuration was uploaded was connected. Not a perfect solution given that the base config had to be loaded, but sped deployment up significantly.

As far as Trill is concerned we have very similar capabilities with Virtual Chassis Extension on the EX4200 (and now EX8200 Series) devices. Virtual Chassis Extension lets up to 10 EX4200 devices connect together using 1Gb or 10Gb interfaces via any topology and act as a single switch - providing the same and more benifits as proposed by Trill. I've got several customers running VCE in the wide area as a ring, connecting Datacenters and offices together....layer-2 every where with no spanning tree in sight!

re

Francois

Juniper Employee
Venkat L

We are also building on the capabilities in JUNOS Space to support auto download of pre-provisioned configuration.

Juniper Employee
Venkat L

Dan,

Thanks for the information on Fault finder.

Customers should be able to automate this with a script on the EX switch to send out notification of an error like duplex mismatch. This notification will be received by Service Now application in JUNOS Space.

We could certainly look at providing a dedicated console for such network errors in JUNOS Space.

On the WEB UI, the commit confirmed, compare and rollback functionality are available starting JUNOS 10.2 on EX switches.

Regards,

Venkat

Regular Visitor
tcalis

Just a very small one: when doing a shutdown of the switch on CLI or on the UI panel, I don't seem to see when the switch is ready shutting down when standing in front of it.

Contributor
DanSmart

EX Switches are missing a port locator function.  Several switches allow you to light for flash an LED to help you locate a specific interface.  This is more important in a VC stack since things get so dense.

-=Dan=-
Contributor
DanSmart

You have a marketing page on your relationship with Solarwinds.  Yet their product is extremely Cisco-centric and offers superficial support for Juniper product.  Couldn't you guys spend just a little time working with them to get things like proper discovery of logical interfaces and proper device type determination working.  How bout some pressure to get LLDP support working, and NOT just CDP?

-=Dan=-
Juniper Employee
CJCalderon

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your active participation on this Tech Cafe. You've raised a lot of good discussion points for consideration. 

Specific to your Solarwinds post, I will route your suggestion to our team that maintains the relationship and make them aware of the request.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.