Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Why Junos always corrupt on EX due on Power Trip?

Posted 02-26-2013 23:58

Hi All,

Currently i face a issue Junos corrupt on EX8208 and EX4200 due to Power Trip. FYI i'm use Junos 10.1 and 10.3. Customer ask me why Junos beahavior like that and Cisco don't have problem if power trip happen. Is it related to Junos version that i use? Appreciate someone can feedback and because i dont know how to answer to customer regarding this issue. Thanks

• 2.  RE: Why Junos always corrupt on EX due on Power Trip?

Posted 02-27-2013 00:19

Hi All,

I found the KB http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB20570&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1361952439717 ....Is it upgrade the Junos it will guarantee that this problem cannot happen again? Thanks and appreciate somone feedback.

• 3.  RE: Why Junos always corrupt on EX due on Power Trip?

Posted 02-28-2013 03:59

Not really...

This document covers it in more detail:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/12.3/index.html?topic-69604.html#jd0e1727

The short version is:  if you're happy with the version of code you're running, always snapshot the current image to the alternate partition:

request system snapshot slice alternate local

Now if the system does believe the primary image is corrupted and boots from the backup (due to power loss etc) it will come back up running the exact same version you were running earlier, however you now need to snapshot the running version back over the corrupt version (so run the command above again).

From 10.4R3 or later you can automate this process by configuring

set system auto-snapshot

From 12.3 onwards, this appears to be automatic:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/12.3/topic-69604.html#jd0e1756

• 4.  RE: Why Junos always corrupt on EX due on Power Trip?

Posted 02-28-2013 10:15

Hi dfex,

Thanks for the feedback. So do u mean i just need to execute this command only "request system snapshot slice alternate local" to prevent junos corrupt. Is it i still need to upgrade the junos to at least 10.4 to run this command?

So can i conclude that i need to upgrade junos version to 10.4 because it will automatically create the slice backup for junos backup.

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

• 5.  RE: Why Junos always corrupt on EX due on Power Trip?

Posted 02-28-2013 14:16

hi there,

couple things -- 

1)  10.1 and 10.3 are EOL code, so I would highly recommend upgrading to the current recommended for your platform (IIRC its 11.4R5.7 across the board for EX)

2)  The firmware update I believe is needed for it to transparently and automatically boot to the alternate partition in the event of a corruption, but if the corruption occurs you still have to do the request system snapshot command to get the now-corrupted partition back to normal

I believe in either 12.2 or 12.3 they improved things where if that happened it would automatically snapshot it for you, but I haven't seen it / tried it.

Will

• 6.  RE: Why Junos always corrupt on EX due on Power Trip?
    Best Answer

Posted 02-28-2013 14:22

Sort of: From 10.4R2 Juniper introduced resilient partitioning, which puts two partitions on the EX that hold the boot image. If one of these becomes corrupt, the switch automatically boots onto the other one.

That means the switch will continue to function, but you will need to snapshot (to repair) the damaged image manually each time unless you have the auto-snapshot command entered, OR you upgrade to 12.3 which does it automatically.

I hope this makes sense

• 7.  RE: Why Junos always corrupt on EX due on Power Trip?

Posted 03-01-2013 07:26

Hi dfex / wimceland,

Many thanks for your advised. So i can conlclude that need to upgrade Junos to at least 10.4 because it provide automatically backup partition. Thanks again n now i have reason to counter back the customer that always compare with cisco.

• 8.  RE: Why Junos always corrupt on EX due on Power Trip?

Posted 03-07-2013 05:00

The current recommended release, by the way, is 11.4. In a few quarters, that is likely to switch to 12.3.