Ethernet Switching
New User
rlitterat

configuring the 10Giga Port as 4 sperate ports

HI 

I would like to know what is the commend inorder to activite all 4 10Giga ports  as 10 Giga without the VC

Contributor
syednasirraza

Re: configuring the 10Giga Port as 4 sperate ports

hi rlitterat....

if u r asking about ex series(3200/4200),, the available SFP/XFP modules supports:

either Four(4) -  1 Gig ports

or Two(2) - 10 Gig Ports

and then just by plugging in the module, u find those ports available to u in funcitoning condition as interfaces ge-0/1/0, ge-0/1/1, ge-0/1/2, ge-0/1/3.... now u can use them as a normal interface (L2/L3 as per your requirment).. NO Special Command is required indeed  to make them activate......

This is what i got from your query,,, If i m mistaken or needs to update myself on it , comments are welcom from all....  

NASIR RAZA
JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT.
Contributor
storerc

I have a 10x EX4200-48P stack as our primary datacenter core, and we use the EX-UM-2X4SFP optics modules to enable the flexibility to use either 1G or 10G interfaces as appropriate for our needs.

We're currently running 10.4R5.5, and by default this uplink module is only operating in 10G/SFP+ mode.  There is in fact a command we had to enter (at least on this code) to get the module to run with the 1G/SFP optics installed.

chassis {

fpc 4 {
        pic 1 {
            sfpplus {
                pic-mode 1g;
            }
        }
    }
}

It's not so much telling the UM whether to use 1G or 10G interfaces - the problem is the 1G optics modules are SFP while the 10G are SFP+.  You're actually telling the module whether to run SFP or SFP+ (even though the config says 1g or 10g)

I don't have the ability to confirm at the moment, but given the SFP/SFP+ hardware differences and the fact this is referenced all over the documentation for these uplink modules, I would be surprised to find that this behaviour has changed in newer code.  If anyone else can validate that I'd love to hear.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

-Chris
Contributor
Michael Gonnason

Also realize that you will take a hit when you switch PIC modes.  It restarts the PFE process, so no traffic will be forwarded for a few seconds.

Juniper Employee
rahulbharti

Michael, the FPE needs to be restarted in order to change the PIC mode as it has to re-program the hardware to change the speed

Regards,
Rahul
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.