Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  ex2200 can't configure sflow

Posted 02-15-2012 07:52

Hello,

According to http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/switching/ex-series/ex2200/#specifications juniper ex2200 switches does support sflow. Also I saw this information on comparsion table where sflow were stated as supported on ex2200 switches. 

Software version on the switch is 10.4R1.9

However when I try to follow the following manual: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/example/sflow-configuring-ex-series.html#jd0e30

I get the following results:

ncadmin@br03-3# show 
    ##
    ## Warning: configuration block ignored: unsupported platform (ex2200-24t-4g)
    ##
    polling-interval 20;
    sample-rate 100; ## Warning: 'rate' is deprecated
    collector 199.58.184.59 {
        udp-port 5600;
    }
    interfaces ge-0/0/0.0;

[edit protocols sflow]
    ncadmin@br03-3#

when I try to verify the config I get similar statement:

ncadmin@br03-3> show sflow  
    error: command is not valid on the ex2200-24t-4g

ncadmin@br03-3> 

Am I following incorrect instruction or does this mean that juniper.net site show incorrect information?

P.S. On SRX device it was quite easy to configure netflow.

• 2.  RE: ex2200 can't configure sflow
    Best Answer

Posted 02-15-2012 08:23

According to EX-Series Software Features Matrix - Table 15, sflow was added to the EX-2200 starting in Junos 11.1R1.

Starting with Junos 11.2, EX Series switches, sFlow technology has been removed from the extended feature license (EFL).  Refer to Junos 11.2 release notes page 258.

References:

• 3.  RE: ex2200 can't configure sflow

Posted 02-15-2012 09:03

Thank you for the information. So this mean:

when I buy new juniper switch from juniper partner (even have direct drop from juniper according to my sales rep) I get switch with outdated software and I to enable additional/latest features I need to get support contract to get the latest version of software. Strange way.

Good side, that we got support contract sold along with the switches… Just never used it. Will look into software upgrade procedure.

• 4.  RE: ex2200 can't configure sflow

Posted 02-15-2012 09:23

The Distribution warehouse may have product with different software releases installed on them.

You will need to install a boot loader (firmware) upgrade along with the Junos software upgrade.  It adds support for the "Resilient Dual-Root Partitions" feature.

Please note that the upgrade time will be extended for the one-time change from old parition scheme to the new parition scheme.  We usually schedule one hour and complete the task in 35 minutes for this upgrade on the EX2200 devices.

References:

• 5.  RE: ex2200 can't configure sflow

Posted 02-16-2012 07:14

As a reseller I must disagree with your statement that you "get switch with outdated software" - If you look at theJuniper site the "recommended release" is from the 10.4x time frame. Juniper of course releases desired features and that  are found in newer releases but that does not make prior releases "outdated" - If you did need to go to a newer release for a feature (IE - Sflow) and you were my customer I would recommend you stay on 10.4.