Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  few questions about "show route"

Posted 05-27-2013 11:45

Hi,

I need to parse the output of "show route" command. But I had following questions :

1. What is the {master:0} or  {master:1} and some time no master mentioned on the last line of output.

2.  Again this is the output of show route,

72.36.91.192/29 *[OSPF/10] 16w0d 23:44:31, metric 220
    to 172.20.104.141 via vlan.3027
    > to 172.20.104.225 via vlan.3028

72.36.92.0/27 *[OSPF/10] 16w0d 23:44:31, metric 220
    > to 172.20.104.141 via vlan.3027
    to 172.20.104.225 via vlan.3028

what does the '>' indicate ?

3. Is it possible to get outout for only inet.0 entries ? what command can be used.

thanks.

• 2.  RE: few questions about "show route"
    Best Answer

Posted 05-27-2013 12:00

Hi,

1. {master:0} indicates the mastership status of the RE to which you are logged in

2. The '>' indicates that the route is the one which is currently active and installed in the forwarding table

3. You can use "show route table inet.0" command

• 3.  RE: few questions about "show route"

Posted 05-27-2013 14:59

thanks Adityo.

1. I still did not get the master thing . Is it that it is the active router (when we have a active and a standby router ?)

2. Also I have not used Juniper switches earlier but I need to parse a output. What command can I use to get the forwarding table ?  Is it "show route forwarding-table" ?

3. Also is the entry in forwarding table entry added when the first packet is handled by the CPU and then the entry is added? or any entry when added in the Routing Information Base is also updated in the Forwarding Information Base. 

4. Also there is a update like

172.21.224.0/19    *[Direct/0] 5w1d 10:42:22

> via vlan.570

[Static/5] 6w5d 14:54:02

> to 172.20.47.22 via vlan.91

Now in this case what route will be installed in the forwarding table ?

• 4.  RE: few questions about "show route"

Posted 06-05-2013 08:51

hi Adityo,

'>' does not indicate the  route  which is currently active and installed in the forwarding table. Its indicated by *.

---show route---
    inet.0: 171 destinations, 172 routes (171 active, 0 holddown, 0 hidden)
    + = Active Route, - = Last Active, * = Both

• 5.  RE: few questions about "show route"

Posted 06-06-2013 17:12

Just summarize what others have said and hopefully provide more clarity:

1. I still did not get the master thing . Is it that it is the active router (when we have a active and a standby router ?)

{master:0} - You will see this on the EX Series switch when you have enabled virtual chassis (or after even if you disable VC and run then as standalone switches). All the switches in the VC no longer operate independently, but as one big switch. If you 2 or 10 divices, they all appear as 1 switch to other Layer 2 devices. The Routing Engine on the other hand operate independently, so you have one as Master and the other as Backup and they operate one at a time- the master keeps the Backup synchronized. Once you synchronize the configuration the Master copy is copied to all the line cards in the VC. They all have the same configuration, one console port to manage, one management IP address to manage. Do not confuse this with Clustering on the SRX. In clustering, the two devices operate as independent devices but synchrosised with the same configuration. They can both be operating at the same time (active/active) or only one operating and the other sitting by passively waiting for the Primary to fail before it takes over. Like the VC, only one RE is acting as the Master at any time.

2. Also I have not used Juniper switches earlier but I need to parse a output. What command can I use to get the forwarding table ?  Is it "show route forwarding-table" ?

Yes- "show route forwarding-table" The ? reveals possible combination knobs you can add; and you can use | (pipe), with the 'find" and "match" too, multiple times to further refine the output. You use the question mark anywhere at anytime to get an output of the possible completions. (Some are hidden and you will just have to know what to  enter, they wil not be revealed by the ?)

3. Also is the entry in forwarding table entry added when the first packet is handled by the CPU and then the entry is added? or any entry when added in the Routing Information Base is also updated in the Forwarding Information Base. 

The Forwarding Table aka FIB, is needed for the packet to be routed/forwarded. It gets populated as soon as the RIB selects the active route, there will be minimal latency while it makes it selection, but essentially yes. 

4. Also there is a update like

172.21.224.0/19     *[Direct/0] 5w1d 10:42:22

> via vlan.570

[Static/5] 6w5d 14:54:02

> to 172.20.47.22 via vlan.91

Now in this case what route will be installed in the forwarding table ? 

The route to the 172.21.224.0/19 network; the asterisk * is used to indicate Protocol selected  based on the preference, that is Active and Last active (last used) for the for the given destination. This output shows that I can get the the 172.21.224.0/19 over the vlan.570 - it is directly connected, and also over the vlan.91 interface via a static route which you have configured. The Direct protocol was selected over the Static route Protocol ( They are actualy pseudo protocol) because it is directly connected with Direct Protocol preference of 0 over the Static with preference with 5. Lower is better.

The > (greater than) symbol simply indicates that this is the next-hop that was selected from this protocol. In this case only one next-hop was available for both protocol so it was selected.

In the follwoing example, notice that only one nexthop was selected randomly (it is different if it was BGP) :

172.20.114.0/24 *[Static/20] 00:04:02

to 172.20.77.2 via ge-0/0/1.0

> to 172.20.66.2 via ge-0/0/2.0

This output can be misleading though if one does not have the complete configuration to tell which will be installed into the FIB. If you have ECM/load-balancing, configured, then both, in this case will be installed in the FIB/Forwarding table. But as a general rule, the one with > will be installed in the FIB.

You can view the output of the inet.0 route table or any other table for that matter by specifiyin it by name for example:

>show route table inet.0

>show route table mpls.0

>show route table routing_instance_name.inet.0

Want to see some internal hidden route table

>show route table all

or better yet

#run show route all extensive

• 6.  RE: few questions about "show route"

Posted 06-09-2013 12:17

thanks 

72.36.88.0/27 *[Direct/0] 9w1d 11:45:49
    > via vlan.829

how is the next Hop determined in such a case.

• 7.  RE: few questions about "show route"

Posted 06-09-2013 18:35

Please read everything I have have written. I took great lenghts to answer that question.

The asterix *  indicates the protocol that was selected for that given destination. The > indicates the next-hop that was selected for that protocol.  Read the explanation again. It is all laid out.

• 8.  RE: few questions about "show route"

Posted 05-28-2013 18:32
    http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.0/information-products/topic-collections/swcmdref-protocols/show-route.html

The Asterisk Marks an active and installed Route. Routes are copied from RIB to FIB when They are copied to fib and better than the current fib entry.

Master is the master in a VIrtual chassis, that is when multiple physical switches act as one logical switch.

• 9.  RE: few questions about "show route"

Posted 05-28-2013 18:33
    (...) when they are copied to RIB (...) of course.

• 10.  RE: few questions about "show route"

Posted 05-29-2013 09:54

RiGloe you mean routes are copied from RIB to FIB as soon as they are installed in RIB ?

or you wait for the first packet for that destination to be solved by CPU using RIB and then that entry is copied to FIB ?

also could you look at question 4