Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  limit bandwith in ae0 interface

Posted 12-10-2013 03:18

Hello,

I need some help. I want to limit bandwith in a LACP aggregate port ( this port has two ge interface). I thought used policiers for limit bandwith, but i read, policiers no working in aggregate interface (ae). Is this true?. I though configure something like this:

set firewall policer LB-policer logical-bandwidth-policer
    set firewall policer LB-policer if-exceeding bandwidth-limit 200m
    set firewall policer LB-policer if-exceeding burst-size-limit 125k
    set firewall policer LB-policer then discard
    set interfaces ae0 unit 0 family inet policer input LB-policer
    set interfaces ae0 unit 0 family inet policer output LB-policer

If i can not cofigure policier, do someone know i could configure?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: limit bandwith in ae0 interface

Posted 12-12-2013 08:10

There is no issue with applying policer (through firewall filiter) on ae. There are many other ways to rate limit traffic. You may apply shape-rate on logical interface under class of service configuration hierarchy . It may vary on different platform. You may also use virtual channel to apply rate limit traffice on logical interfaces.

Reference link

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/topics/topic-map/policer-single-rate-two-color-bandwidth.html

****************First approach to apply policer through filiter************************

set firewall policer limit-1m if-exceeding bandwidth-limit 1m
    set firewall policer limit-1m if-exceeding burst-size-limit 5m
    set firewall policer limit-1m then discard
    set firewall filter test-filter term 1 then policer limit-1m
    set interfaces ae0 unit 0 family inet filter input test-filter

********************2nd approach to apply per unit scheduling through class of service ****************
    set interfaces ae0 per-unit-scheduler
    set class-of-service interfaces ae0 unit 0 shaping-rate 1m

Pleas mark this as accepted solution if it solves your problem

Kudos a good way of appreciation

Kashif Nawaz

JNCIP-Sec , JNCIS-Ent, JNCIS-Sec, JNCIA-Junos

• 3.  RE: limit bandwith in ae0 interface

Posted 12-13-2013 09:36

hello route-champ,

Thanks for your answer. I configured:

firewall {
    family ethernet-switching {
    filter LIMITE-200M {
    interface-specific;
    term default {
    then policer POLICER-200M;
    }
    }
    }
    policer POLICER-200M {
    filter-specific;
    if-exceeding {
    bandwidth-limit 200m;
    burst-size-limit 125k;
    }
    then discard;
    }
    }

interfaces {
    ae1 {
    description Q-in-Q_1003;
    aggregated-ether-options {
    lacp {
    active;
    }
    }
    unit 0 {
    family ethernet-switching {
    port-mode trunk;
    filter {
    input LIMITE-200M;
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }

I tried set in the interface ae1 unit 0 "output LIMITE-200m" but the EX reject the command. Do you know why the device reject the command?. Do you know if my config configuration is going to work fine?, i have some dude

• 4.  RE: limit bandwith in ae0 interface

Posted 12-13-2013 10:52

You mean set interfaces ae1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching filter output LIMITE-200m is giving a commit error or command is not acceptable. There should not be issue, but i have personal experience(with EX 4200 ) outtput filiter even if configured does not work, I have also read it somewhere .

Kashif Nawaz

• 5.  RE: limit bandwith in ae0 interface

Posted 12-14-2013 11:56

command is not acceptable. I read in the link you gave me:

Guidelines for Applying a Bandwidth Policer

The following guidelines pertain to applying a bandwidth policer to traffic:

• You can use a bandwidth policer to rate-limit protocol-specific traffic (not family any) at the input or output of a logical interface.
    • You can apply a bandwidth policer directly to protocol-specific input or output traffic at a logical interface.
    • To send only selected packets to a bandwidth policer, you can reference the bandwidth policer from a stateless firewall filter term and then apply the filter to logical interface traffic for a specific protocol family.

• To reference a logical bandwidth policer from a firewall filter, you must include the interface-specific statement in the firewall filter configuration.
      • You cannot use a bandwidth policer for forwarding-table filters.
    • You cannot apply a bandwidth policer to an aggregate interface, a tunnel interface, or a software interface.

I dont understand the line i mark in color blue, probably this is the cause which the EX doesnt permit to configure the output policier.

• 6.  RE: limit bandwith in ae0 interface
    Best Answer

Posted 12-15-2013 07:45

Bandwidth policer configuration option are not consistent among different type of Junos based devices.  I have tested your configuration on EX 4200 with Junos 11.4 there is absolute no issue with configuration acceptance , then i tried to configure per-unit-scheduler on EX 4200 but option is not available (even for physical interface) i was totally astonished . But per-unit-scheduler option is available in branch SRX (tested on SRX 210) even for st0 and ae0.

******************************************************************************

here is my configuration and no issue at least during configuration acceptance , results for actual rate-limit not tested

root@test-switch# set unit 0 family ethernet-switching filter input ?
    Possible completions:
      200M-policer      

******************************************************************************

Hence you have not applied any specific match condition in your firewall filiter, you may try to configure shaping-rate for ae1 under class of service configuration stanza. This technique might  fulfill your requirement 

set class-of-service interfaces ae1 shaping-rate ,

Kashif Nawaz