Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
Expand all | Collapse all

snapshoot proccess with EX4200

• 1.  snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 07-20-2012 02:46

I am making snapshoot on EX-4200 without virtual chasis, a single chassis.

When i was making the snapshoot, the EX4200 showed me:

{master:0}

maketa@prueba> request system snapshot

fpc0:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid

{master:0}

maketa@mq1-bac-ag-1> request system snapshot media internal

fpc0:

error: Cannot snapshot to current boot device

I don´t understand this error. I tried clean the storage with command "request system storage cleanup", after execute "request systen snapshot" but the problem continue.

I connected flash usb to EX and I executed the command "request system snapshot partition". The result is fine, the snapshot made correctly. The ouput for this command:

maketa@prueba> request system snapshot partition

fpc0:

Clearing current label...

Partitioning external media (/dev/da1) ...

Partitions on snapshot:

Partition  Mountpoint  Size    Snapshot argument

s1a    /altroot    702M    none

s2a    /           710M    none

s3d    /var/tmp    1.4G    none

s3e    /var        471M    none

s4d    /config     231M    none

Copying '/dev/da0s1a' to '/dev/da1s1a' .. (this may take a few minutes)

Copying '/dev/da0s2a' to '/dev/da1s2a' .. (this may take a few minutes)

Copying '/dev/da0s3d' to '/dev/da1s3d' .. (this may take a few minutes)

Copying '/dev/da0s3e' to '/dev/da1s3e' .. (this may take a few minutes)

Copying '/dev/da0s4d' to '/dev/da1s4d' .. (this may take a few minutes)

The following filesystems were archived: /altroot / /var/tmp /var /config

what is the problem?. I need to make snapshot without USB  because I have many EX in remote location.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 07-20-2012 07:43

This KB article may help:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB16326&actp=RSS

From reading it I get the impression that if you boot from the internal flash, then you can't snapshot to the internal flash, I'm not sure if there is any way around it, a bit from the KB article:

The purpose of the snapshot is to save a copy  of the current Junos software and configuration on an alternate device. If the device is booted from the internal flash , then snapshot will backup the internal flash to a specified alternate media (e.g. USB) .If booted from external device then snapshot will backup to internal flash.

Example of the device that was booted through internal flash attempts to snapshot to same internal flash will throw the below error:

root> request system snapshot media internal re0 slice alternate
    re0:

error: cannot snapshot to current boot device

• 3.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 07-20-2012 08:52

I am not sure.

In the other customer , I had made the snapshoot in virtual chassis an d i didn´t have a problem.

Oviusly, this is other case. Could it be becasuse there is only flash in ex-4200-24T? and it look for a media where it save the backup. I don´t find other explication.

thanks B2

• 4.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 07-23-2012 00:02

Hi,

please look at the "show system storage partition" output. You sholud see main and backup partition. From 10.4R3 Juniper introduced new dual partition feature if You want to snapshoot to internal media.

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21062&smlogin=true

Cheers,

Artur

• 5.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 07-24-2012 04:37
    Indeed, prior to 10.4R3 you can't do that. If it is that version or a little later, then also try "req sys snap med internal slice alternate". In more recent versions you no longer have to add "slice alternate" at the end.

• 6.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 05-21-2015 22:23

hello i also faced the same issue in new EX4200 switches , please advice the better solution to solve the issue.

request system snapshot

fpc0:

error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid

• 7.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 05-25-2015 23:44

What is the problem that you are seeing? Do you have an output and the software release?

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 8.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 05-26-2015 02:25

1st of all thanks for your reply ,Please advice me the solution of below error. request system snapshot fpc0: -------------------------------------------------------------------------- error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid {master:0} request system snapshot media internal fpc0: -------------------------------------------------------------------------- error: Cannot snapshot to current boot device [] Now if I insert USB above error gone I can see both partitions copied with Junos please check below . {master:0} nsn> request system snapshot slice alternate fpc0: -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Formatting alternate root (/dev/da0s1a)... Copying '/dev/da0s2a' to '/dev/da0s1a' .. (this may take a few minutes) The following filesystems were archived: / {master:0} nsn> {master:0} nsn> show system snapshot fpc0: -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Information for snapshot on external (/dev/da1s1a) (backup) Creation date: Jun 24 08:10:30 2011 JUNOS version on snapshot: jbase : 11.2R1.2 jkernel-ex: 11.2R1.2 jcrypto-ex: 11.2R1.2 jdocs-ex: 11.2R1.2 jswitch-ex: 11.2R1.2 jpfe-ex42x: 11.2R1.2 jroute-ex: 11.2R1.2 jweb-ex: 11.2R1.2 Information for snapshot on external (/dev/da1s2a) (primary) Creation date: Jun 24 08:13:03 2011 JUNOS version on snapshot: jbase : 11.2R1.2 jkernel-ex: 11.2R1.2 jcrypto-ex: 11.2R1.2 jdocs-ex: 11.2R1.2 jswitch-ex: 11.2R1.2 jpfe-ex42x: 11.2R1.2 jroute-ex: 11.2R1.2 jweb-ex: 11.2R1.2 but when I remove the USB same error appears again Please advice me solution

• 9.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 05-26-2015 03:46

Isn't this the same solution that you are looking as this one?

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Ethernet-Switching/error-external-dev-da1-media-missing-or-invalid-on-EX4200-switch/m-p/274303#M12421

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 10.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 10-23-2015 11:27
      |   view attached

Hi guys

I have the same issue with EX4600 14.1X53-D27.

I have been follow this post but also with USB plugged I cannot do snapshot.

Please see attached show and if you can give me a feedback

best regards

Antonio

Attachment(s)

• 11.  RE: snapshoot proccess with EX4200

Posted 06-01-2016 22:11

I know this is a few years too late, but the solution to your issue is:

request system snapshot slice alernate

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.