Switching

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 05-19-2009 00:32

Hello

I want to know what is the protocol for VLAN configuration synchronization on Juniper EX switches as we use VTP on cisco switches.

• 2.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 05-19-2009 04:32

Hi,

VTP is Cisco proprietary

GVRP is the equivalent  available on Juniper Switches:

you can find some simple examples of configuration in the docs here:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.5/topics/example/bridging-ex-series-automatic-vlan-administration-GVRP.html

Hope this will Help You

• 3.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 02-17-2010 10:29

As a Side note Page one does say "Dynamic VLAN configuration is not supported" which means you'll be adding the Vlans manually on Each switch until JunOS actually supports MVRP - really the next generation of GVRP. 

Not sure when they plan on implementing this feature, but I'm looking forward to it.  So, if you are looking for a VTP replacement as far as adding and deleting Vlan's then it is not an option on the EX series as of yet.

At least to my knowledge and research.

• 4.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 03-01-2010 16:21

Juniper supports this as of version 10.0 or newer (currently on JunOS 10.1). From the 10.0 release notes:

Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP)

Protocol (MVRP) is used to manage dynamic VLAN registration in a LAN. MVRP

is an application protocol of the Multiple Registration Protocol (MRP) and is

defined in the IEEE 802.1ak standard. MRP and MVRP were designed by IEEE

to perform the same functions as Generic Attribute Registration Protocol (GARP)

and GARP VLAN Registration Protocol (GVRP) while overcoming some of the

limitations in GARP and GVRP, in particular limitations on bandwidth usage in

large networks with large numbers of VLANs.

Multiple VLAN Registration

• 5.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 03-12-2010 07:14

Forgive me if I am wrong, but the GRVP or MRVP do not look to me like VTP, they would be more like Cisco VLAN pruning.

The VTP functionality required is that the creation of a VLAN on a "SERVER" switch forces the creation of the same vlan on "SLAVE" switches, which doesnt seem to the case with either of these two technologies?

• 6.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 03-12-2010 07:17

well its seems that  MVRP does the job!!

speed reading doh!!

• 7.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 03-12-2010 09:43

Hi,

current implementation allows you to add/delete vlans dynamically on trunk ports only! So currently it is no possible to add access ports to dynamic VLAN (created by MVRP).

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

• 8.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 04-05-2010 10:23

I did hear that MVRP is supported on EX switches as of 10.0.  From what little I have read on that protocol, it sounds like you need to do the VLAN configuration at the Access layer and enable MVRP on the trunk port connecting to the Distibution layer.  Created VLANs will be added to the trunk and VLAN information will be shared with downstream switches (Distribution and Core). 

Can that VLAN information be shared from the Core up to a second MVRP-enabled Access switch?  Or does the VLAN need to be manually created on secondary/additional Access switches?

Regards,

• 9.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 03-22-2012 19:42

Is there anyone can answer my concern please ?

1. How about if I remove a VLAN on a switch ? (all switches will delete the VLAN as well?)

2. Is that mean all switches can be the server ? (all switches can propagate VLAN to others)

Best Regards

• 10.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 08-03-2012 06:37

Did you find out an answer to this?

We just implemented 5 ex2200 switches using MVRP yesterday.  I haven't had time to play with it yet to fully see how it works.  The KB below alludes to the fact that any switch act as the "server" in Cisco terminology.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/example/bridging-mvrp-ex-series.html

• 11.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 01-31-2013 14:07

Has anyone played with this more and are you able to provide some insight as to how MVRP works during day to day management of the switches?

• 12.  RE: what is protocol like VTP on juniper EX switches?

Posted 02-19-2013 19:04

MVRP works very well.