Got the NAC
SteveHanna

Decrypting RSA Europe

by Juniper Employee ‎10-29-2008 12:00 AM - edited ‎11-03-2008 05:47 PM

This week, I’m blogging from RSA Europe in London. The conference is dedicated to Alan Turing, the great British cryptographer and early computer scientist. The folks at Bletchley Park teamed with a local hobbyist to bring an Enigma machine and other cryptographic machines to the conference. I had a great time playing with the Enigma.

Attendance at the show was down a bit from last year, probably due to the poor economy. Still, there was a good crowd for my talk on “NAC 2.0″ this morning. I explained how NAC systems are starting to integrate with other network security systems like IDS and DLP. This trend is really starting to accelerate now that IF-MAP has been released, providing a standard way for these integrations to happen.

One more note. The Bletchley Park folks are appealing for donations to help save their historic site, an important part of cryptography and information security. If you’d like to donate, visit their site at http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk or stop by and see the machines for yourself. If you can’t make it to England, go to the U.S. National Cryptologic Museum in Maryland. They have a similarly amazing collection of spy gear albeit in a less historic setting.

Message Edited by SteveHanna on 11-03-2008 08:47 PM

Comments
by Benjamin(anon) on ‎11-04-2008 01:57 PM
A great talk I hear! The machines were amazing. Kudos to RSA for having the Bletchley folks along.
by BillT(anon) on ‎11-14-2008 12:24 PM
I would love to be able to take a close look at an Enigma machine. real history!
by on ‎11-17-2008 01:33 PM

Oh, I would love to have been at RSA London. I think Alan Turing is such a remarkable man. I studied him a lot during college. Also, I am envious that you were able to see an Enigma machine. You are so lucky!

Great post, so glad to see you are keeping busy and well entertianed!

-Tawnee 

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
Labels
About the Author
  • I'm a Distinguished Engineer at Juniper Networks. My main focus is security standards. I'm co-chair of the Trusted Network Connect Work Group in the Trusted Computing Group and co-chair of the Network Endpoint Assessment Working Group in the Internet Engineering Task Force. I also speak at various industry events such as Interop and the RSA Conference. I have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from Harvard University.
About Got the NAC

Steve Hanna
Welcome to Got the NAC, written by Juniper Networks Distinguished Engineer Steve Hanna. From his insider perspective, Steve blogs about network access control, covering the issues and trends he encounters that affect the industry as a whole.

Steve Hanna is co-chair of both the Trusted Network Connect Work Group in the Trusted Computing Group and the Network Endpoint Assessment Working Group in the Internet Engineering Task Force.

Steve is active in other networking and security standards groups, such as the Open Group and OASIS. He's also the author of several IETF RFCs and published papers, an inventor or co-inventor on 30 issued U.S. patents, and a regular speaker at industry events such as Interop and the RSA Conference.

He holds an A.B. in Computer Science from Harvard University. For more information on Steve, check out Network World’s profile (by Tim Greene)
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.