Industry Solutions and Trends
Technology is more than just networking and Juniper experts share their views on all the trends affecting IT
David

From dumb pipes to intelligent connectivity

by Juniper Employee ‎11-24-2011 11:55 AM - edited ‎11-25-2011 01:15 AM

I recently attended the Carrier Ethernet World Congress Europe in Amsterdam, once more an interesting reality check of this industry segment. It is a great to hear from the Service Provider community the way they are using the Carrier Ethernet technology.

According to Infonetics Research, Carrier Ethernet equipment market will reach $40.2 Billion by 2015. Although Carrier Ethernet started as a simplified way to provide connectivity, thanks to the Metro Ethernet Forum it evolved to a rich set of standard services to support point-to-point and multipoint connectivity as well as advanced OAM capabilities. There are lots of applications of Carrier Ethernet including business services, broadband Aggregation or Mobile backhaul among others.

Another interesting observation is that the industry overtime accepted that the Carrier Ethernet infrastructure has to evolve beyond Layer 2 to integrate additional services (i.e. L3 VPN, DPI, monitoring and control, subscriber management…) and help in the Network consolidation. This provides cost savings and service velocity and flexibility. And therefore focusing in connectivity is not enough.

During the event Juniper Networks presented the third generation Carrier Ethernet solution, a service-rich network that delivers transformed Economics to Service providers and Superior Quality of Experience to subscribers. Concluding the event was the awards ceremony, which I’m delighted to say that Juniper’s MX960 3D Universal Edge Router won the Carrier Ethernet World Congress Award, "Best Carrier Ethernet Core Product" – I was so proud to collect the award.

CEWC Awards-logo

Finally, we discussed about new ways to monetise the network interconnecting the two worlds: Networking and Applications. A topic, I already discussed in my previous blog: Turning the Network into a Revenue Centre with Network Programmability

I’ll leave you with my four minute video interview at the CEWC! 

Comments
by Juniper Employee on ‎03-14-2012 03:11 AM
Labels
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.