Industry Solutions and Trends
Technology is more than just networking and Juniper experts share their views on all the trends affecting IT
zsands

Jan Yperman Hospital a 100% Virtualised Environment to be powered by Juniper Networks

by Administrator Administrator ‎07-02-2012 05:12 AM - edited ‎07-02-2012 05:25 AM

I love meeting and hearing from customers, their stories always bring to life Juniper Networks’ products and solutions adding that human element, aiding further understanding of what we are capable of achieving. On Wednesday I heard from a QFabric customer; Francky Deleu, ICT Manager at Jan Yperman Hospital. He started his presentation at Juniper’s PoC Lab (Proof of Concept) by stating that Jan Yperman Hospital is entering into a new LAN era. A thought provoking presentation title that led the audience to delve into a very sophisticated hospital network.

What is rare about Jan Yperman Hospital’s data center environment is that it is 100% virtualised, and therefore requires a low latency network. The current network had its limitations in terms of performance and scalability, and will be replaced with Juniper Networks QFabric, EX Series Ethernet Switches in the local area network (LAN) environment, SRX Series Services Gateways and IC Series Unified Access Control Appliances for network security, and existing the Juniper Networks WLA Wireless LAN Access Points and WLM Wireless LAN Management solutions to create a new network. Francky said that he expects to see the average network data transfer time to be reduced from 15/20 seconds to 5 seconds enabling data to be processed North to South and East to West much faster once QFabric is implemented. There will also be the added benefit that QFabric will reduce latency down to <5 micro seconds.

There is no doubt that Francky believes in the value that QFabric will bring to the hospital network. He also stated that this solution has the potential to bring to Ethernet switching what virtualization has brought to servers. So, watch this space to see if his prediction happens.

Francky said that the hospital’s biggest challenge is Big Data, which is a becoming a familiar challenge for a lot of organisations – the hospital has seen an exponential raise in medical images being viewed on handheld devices and tablets with demand increasing on a daily basis. So, how does the network keep up with the growing demand for data? The current network is slow and needs to be revamped in order to keep up with the growing on demand data requests from doctors and other clinicians. This data demand had a big influence on the decision to re-architect the network and data centre with QFabric.

He stated that the main benefits of having QFabric within the network would enable the following:

• Fluent applications loading radiology images less than 5 seconds
  • An agile network for future network demands
  • Cloud readiness for IT resources
  • Low latency, reducing packet loss
  • Video conferencing from general meeting rooms to the radiology department
  • Introduction of robotic surgery
  • Video on demand for the hospital’s patients, implementing network TV with bedside terminals and information panels.

I thoroughly enjoyed with Francky’s impressive presentation at Juniper’s PoC Lab; he closed by saying that a low latency network enables technological innovation at Jan Yperman Hospital. As ICT Manager at this hospital he needs the network to be scalable to keep up with the demands from his internal and external stakeholders. Data growth is at multiple TB per year; with exploding demand and high expectations of BYoD with home practitioners expecting to reach the data they need efficiently and quickly from remote locations. That’s why the network matters for Jan Yperman Hospital. Doctors don't like to wait!

There is more to come on this story as I managed to grab some time with Francky for a one on one interview, so I’ll post this video in my next blog post.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
Labels
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.