Industry Solutions and Trends
Technology is more than just networking and Juniper experts share their views on all the trends affecting IT
rcradick

Why networking is more than just "plumbing". It can change your life.

by Juniper Employee ‎10-29-2012 07:47 AM - edited ‎10-29-2012 07:47 AM

I have only been back at work for a few months. A year off to have my daughter and life is unrecognisable from what it once was. Whilst I had planned for the inevitable chaos a small infant would bring, what has floored me the most is how obsessed I am with network coverage.

Wifi hotspots at cafes, hotels, airports and the office. Mobile signals up a hill, in a shop, round a supermarket, it is never ending. I would not define myself as a “techy”, but I do find I am often head down staring at my mobile or laptop judging whether I have adequate signal and if not, why not? If I move an inch to the left will it improve? Friends and particularly my husband think I have gone mad, what could possibly be that important that I need network access this much... internet access, Google maps, apps on my phone, video conferencing, checking emails, text messages, Twitter, foursquare check ins, Peekaboo Barn?

It is all that and more. Technology has changed and the way we use it has changed. Home broadband providers, mobile phone operators and even at work, IT departments are all playing catch up to keep up with the demand consumers are making of what would seem every day use of our networks. Consumerisation of IT or BYOD?  Whatever the latest hype trend or phrase is, it is not set to diminish and demand and expectations will only increase.  Recent research that Juniper Networks conducted with Forrester shows that simply upping bandwidth is not enough anymore. Old methods of network design and build have reached a shelf life and a radical new approach to networking is needed.  Here are some of the main findings from the research:

Cloud Computing

• 44% of businesses have seen increased use of cloud services – from software and infrastructure to business processes as-a-service offerings.
  • 58% say cloud computing had a significant impact on their network (which required hardware upgrade/refresh of network).

Big Data

• 53% of respondents say the business is turning to IT to capture more data to make better business decisions.
  • More than half (52%) of businesses are grappling with data storage needs brought on by company growth.

Mobile Computing

• In the last 18 months, 47% of businesses have seen increased demand from end users to bring their own devices to work.
  • When ranking IT initiatives for the next 12 months, 72% of IT business decision-makers put expanding use of mobile apps for employees, customers, and business partners at the top of their list.

To read the full report please visit our website or review CIO Bask Iyer’s blog post for all the findings.   

The expectation has been set and whether it is keeping in contact with family and friends, finding the way to a new restaurant or museum, being available for a conference call or responding to an email whilst juggling the nursery pick up it is all part and parcel of life today. Technology can be a burden, but it can also make life easier, makes you more able to multi-task and aid your work life balance. What new technologies have helped change the way you work? Drop your comments below or join our Consumerisation of IT LinkedIn group to participate in the discussions.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
Labels
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.