Industry Solutions and Trends
Technology is more than just networking and Juniper experts share their views on all the trends affecting IT

Displaying articles for: 05-27-2012 - 06-02-2012

Derek Cobb

Experiences of deploying the first Juniper Networks Internet Exchange Point

by Derek Cobb ‎05-31-2012 05:22 AM - edited ‎05-31-2012 06:30 AM

The London Internet Exchange (LINX) was one of the world’s first Internet Exchange Points. As a place where settlement free peering has always been at the very top of the agenda, having a low latency network with high levels of resiliency is essential. Since our beginnings with a single switch in 1994, LINX has grown to become one of the largest IXPs in the world, with a network that covers more than 80% of the global routing table.

Finding a solution to take the network into the future was a significant challenge.

With massive growth in port and bandwidth requirements driving the need for a complete review our existing network architecture, we knew this was going to be the biggest project LINX had ever undertaken in terms of scale, complexity and risk.

We needed to assure carrier-grade levels of performance, resilience and support as we established a platform for the next era of IXP services. In particular, we had realised that our ring-based architecture would not scale to meet our future service and capacity needs.

Read more...

Oliver Crofton

Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) presents Opportunities not Issues

by Oliver Crofton on ‎05-31-2012 04:17 AM - last edited on ‎06-11-2012 06:20 AM by Administrator Administrator

A few years ago I had dinner with the CEO of a FTSE 100 company. After about five minutes of the usual pleasantries, he suddenly became very animated about the prospect of showing me his latest toy. He reached into his bag, and with a look of sheer delight on his face, he pulled out an iPad.

The conversation that followed involved a great deal of excitement and enthusiasm about how this new device would change the way he does business. After 10 minutes of positively salivating at the prospect of using his iPad for work, he told me that he'd asked his IT director to order 60 immediately for his senior management team, as the firm must be seen to be "leading the market in technology and innovation".

Whilst he was talking, my mind wandered to the conversations that would follow his request within his IT team. I could almost see the head scratching and endless diagram sketches, with all hands on deck trying to understand how to make the requested device fit in with the standard corporate network.

Read more...

Ready, FIRE!!!!, aim.... : sometimes information security can feel like trying to put up flak into an air-raid, just hoping that you might take out the threat honing down on you from above - never quite knowing if you have succeeded until after the event.

Whilst we have a veritable arsenal of technology to counter the complex blended threats out there today, more often than not these aim to second-guess the next move by an attacker. Indeed today's application firewalls, IPS etc all do a good job at keeping order in a chaotic environment and when combined with a good SIEM solution, you can also create the analogue of an air-raid siren in the analogy above.

Unfortunately, with the best will in the world, the reality is that we still have the chance for threats to go unnoticed - how many times do we see in info sec books that an attacker only needs to be successful once to achieve their goal. Then there is the consideration that even with the most refined tuning of our network security infrastructure, we still have the false positives to deal with that distract us from our day jobs. 

Read more...

About Industry Solutions and Trends

Subscribe RSS Icon

Follow our Twitter Accounts:
Juniper Networks Twitter
UK Twitter
Japan Twitter
Australia Twitter
Labels
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.