Information Experience (iX)
Sarah Lesway-Ball

Need a Technology Refresher? Introducing the Learn About Series

by Trusted Contributor ‎02-13-2014 06:11 AM - edited ‎02-18-2014 07:22 AM

Show of hands: how many of you have been in a position where you need to refresh your basic understanding of a network technology, and you need to do it by tomorrow? Keep your hands up if you also need to understand how that technology is implemented in Juniper products.

You can put your hands down now, because the Information Experience (iX) team is proud to introduce the Learn About series. Each Learn About book is about the length of a white paper and is perfect for reviewing key concepts on the plane, on the train, or before that big meeting.

Learn About Secure VPNs

LA_SecureVPNs_v2_cover.jpg 

Virtual private networks (VPNs) are a technology that you know by name but not by what it does or how it works. Chances are, much of the time you spend on the Internet is probably spent using a Secure VPN – when you’re mobile and pinging the office, at home telecommuting, or using the cloud to connect to a data center. Juniper Networks is constantly striving to improve security, and making VPNs more reliable and secure is a top priority. Learn more about secure VPNs in this new Learn About book. Find it on Juniper.net, Amazon or iTunes.

Learn About Differences in Addressing Between IPv4 and IPv6

ipv4-ipv6.jpg

Although IPv6 is intended to eventually replace IPv4, they are tightly mingled right now. Learn about the differences between these Internet protocols, including the addressing schemes and related protocols they use, in this new Learn About book. Find it on Juniper.netAmazon and iTunes.

Learn About Data Center Bridging

dcb.jpg

Ethernet networks are designed to drop packets during periods of congestion. But when network designers need to transport data across an Ethernet network without dropping packets, what can they do? They can pay an arm and a leg for a full 1:1 transport network with not a whiff of oversubscription, but who can afford that? Especially when there’s a better way. Learn more about Data Center Bridging, a method that uses the existing Ethernet infrastructure to guarantee lossless traffic delivery while also accommodating the usual best-effort traffic, in this new Learn About book. Find it on Juniper.net, Amazon and iTunes.

Want More?

We are expanding the Learn About series with more books, infographics, and videos this year. We would love to know the technologies you want us to cover.

Want to be the first to hear about new documentation, including the Learn About Series? Subscribe to our Information Experience (iX) blog using the Blog Options menu at the top of our channel!

Comments
by Distinguished Expert on ‎02-13-2014 03:10 PM

These seem like a good addition to the collection.

Is there a "home page" in documenation to see a full list?

The links on Secure VPN and Datacenter bridging seem to be broken, but the IPV6 one does come up for me.

Steve Puluka BSEET 
Juniper Ambassador 
Senior Network Engineer - UPMC Pittsburgh, PA
JNCIA-ER JNCIA-EX JNCIS-SEC JNCIP-SEC
JNCIS-FWV JNCIS-SSL 
MCP - Managing Server 2003 MCP - Windows XP Professional
MCTS Windows 7
http://puluka.com/home

by Trusted Contributor on ‎02-13-2014 03:39 PM

Thanks, Steve! The Learn About series was one of the new documents that we showed you and the iCAB in the beginning stages, so we really owe our customers for helping us to expand the offering!

The links are fixed now. We are working on a landing page for the Learn About Series and hope to have it ready in the next month.

Best,

Sarah

by Distinguished Expert on ‎02-17-2014 02:08 PM

These look quite interesting. Nice topical content that does a nice job of presenting a reasonable level of technical detail without being totally in the weeds. 

Two questions - I searched the Apple iTunes and the App Store and could not find them. Am I just missing the right key search word?

Any issues with dissementing these PDF's out to customers, potential customers? I am assuming not but just want to ask.

Kevin Barker 

by Trusted Contributor on ‎02-18-2014 07:27 AM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks! Glad you find these useful.

I reposted the article with direct links to the Ebooks on Amazon and iTunes. BTW, I had better luck searching on their titles in Google rather than within those sites. 

We encourage you to share these with your customers. Let us know if there are any titles you would like us to cover, and we would love to hear their feedback.

Best regards,

Sarah

About the Author
  • Allan is the web architect for Juniper's technical documentation, and has over 17 years of experience in technical customer support, spanning process, architecture, content, metrics and analytics, and user experience. Allan has worked as Juniper since December 2000, and held prior technical roles at Sprint, as well as in the health care and games publishing industries.
  • I manage the Information Experience (iX) technical editing team. I am based in Juniper’s New England Innovation Center. The editors are dedicated to increasing the usability of technical documentation for all Juniper Networks products. We are excited to be part of the iX transformation that Ben Jackson is leading, and we look forward to partnering with you to enhance your information experience.
  • I have been in the networking industry for over 17 years, and still enjoy learning about the latest in how we stay connected. We are passionate about providing quality information while at the same time delighting audiences. My goal is to help deliver the best user experience we can.
  • I am an experienced leader in the Information Experience (iX) industry. For over 20 years, I've led information organizations at Juniper, Microsoft, Cisco, and Oracle to deliver quality technical documentation and information products to customers and partners across the globe.
  • I am the Network Configuration Examples project manager. That is why my J-Net user name is ExamplesGuy. The NCE library is growing every month. Take a look http://www.juniper.net/nce If you have an idea for an NCE, leave a comment in the Information Experience blog.
  • Fawn is a senior manager for Juniper's information experience (iX) common technology team. This team of writers creates documentation, videos, blogs, complex examples and a variety of other information products about Juniper's core routing and automation technologies. The iX common technology team is co-located in Sunnyvale, California and Bangalore, India and totally rocks.
  • I manage an Information Architecture team whose mission is to ensure that Juniper’s customers can easily access a consistent set of relevant and high-quality technical information deliverables. I enjoy leveraging a blend of my engineering and writing skills to help the Information Experience team improve the customer experience.
  • In my eight years at Juniper, I’ve developed routing and security documentation for J Series and SRX Series products. I've also played a key role in standardizing the example format being used across Juniper. I’m fortunate to be a part of the User Experience team and co-moderate the International Content Advisory Board (iCAB). My favorite pastime is identifying trees and learning more about them.
  • 30 Years in Book Publishing, 20 years in Technical Book Publishing, including Apple Developer Press, Adobe Press, Nokia Developer Books, Palm Books, and since 2001, almost 10 years as consulting editor/editor in chief for Juniper Networks Book. Joined the company and started the Day One book line and in 2011, the new This Week book line.
  • Sarah manages customer programs for the Information Experience team at Juniper. Sarah has grown her passion for user-centered technical documentation at various global networking companies, including Lucent Technologies and Marconi.
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.