Information Experience (iX)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

One-Stop Documentation Shop for Junos OS Releases

by Juniper Employee ‎02-06-2017 05:00 AM - edited ‎02-06-2017 07:08 AM

To enable you, our customers and partners, to find the right information quickly, we’ve consolidated our release-specific Junos OS documents into a unified single source.

What Does This Mean?

By consolidating content across releases…

• We will deliver to you the most relevant and current feature information in one place.
  • You will be directed to more accurate information that you can use to build a stronger network.
  • Your time spent navigating through documentation will be greatly reduced by streamlined search results.
  • You can have greater confidence that the documentation you are reading is top quality.

What Does This Look Like?BeforeAfter.png

Essentially, we have been publishing a new version of the same content for each Junos release, causing you to look across multiple sources for the right information. After the consolidation, behavioral changes across releases will be described in a single document, freeing up the time you would have otherwise spent searching through multiple documents.

How Will I Find Feature Information Specific To My Junos Release?

• Release-specific Junos OS release notes
  • Feature Explorer
  • New Release History Tables in documentation

Junos OS release notes will continue to be available for all releases and maintenance releases. We consolidated the Junos OS release notes in one location for easy reference on the Junos OS page in the TechLibrary. The Junos OS release notes include a summary of new features with links to the complete documentation set.

A great resource for identifying feature support by platform and by release is Feature Explorer within the Pathfinder tool. When using Feature Explorer you can search by software release or product and you can compare multiple products and software releases.

Junos OS documentation now contains a new Release History Table (see images below), highlighting feature behavioral changes across releases. In addition, for configuration statements and operational commands, the release information continues to be available in the Junos OS documentation.

Example from BGP Feature Guide:

ReleaseHistoryTable.jpeg

Example from High Availability Feature Guide for Routing Devices:

HAFeatureGuide.png

We will continue to provide our Portable Libraries designed to provide offline access to Juniper Networks technical documentation, collected in one ZIP file.

How Is Search Improved?

We removed redundant release-specific documentation so that when you search for a document, you will now see only one result— leading you directly to the right content, enabling you to spend less time searching, and displaying our most recent documentation enhancements.

Searchcomparisons.jpeg

What Does The New Junos OS Page Look Like?

The new Junos OS page includes all release notes and links to platform-specific Junos OS documentation. The platform-specific Junos OS documentation pages include a list of all the release notes and feature documentation associated with that specific product. For example, clicking on the MX Series link takes you to the Junos OS for MX Series  page.

Note:  Because this change required many pages to be republished, we recommend you clear your browser cache.  Otherwise, if you see a page that does not appear to be correct, refresh your browser to update the page. 

JunosOSpage.png

JunosOSPage2.png

What Else Has Changed?

The old links to the removed documentation have been be redirected to the new consolidated documentation; therefore, if you have saved bookmarks, you will automatically be taken to the correct page.

There is an updated Documentation Help page and new FAQ (What’s Changed in Junos OS Documentation) to help you understand the new consolidated documentation.

Your Experience Matters.

We look forward to hearing your feedback! Please use the “Rate and Give Feedback” stars at the top of any documentation page, or if you’d like to offer more in-depth feedback and start a discussion, please email icab@juniper.net.

Announcements

Juniper Design & Architecture Center - Mobile Cloud
About the Author
  • I am an experienced leader in the Information Experience (iX) industry. For over 20 years, I've led information organizations at Juniper, Microsoft, Cisco, and Oracle to deliver quality technical documentation and information products to customers and partners across the globe.
  • Managing the team that produces documentation and other information products for SDN and Automation
  • I manage the Cloud Services and Network Management group in Juniper's information experience (iX) team. My team produces pathway pages, videos, and embedded user assistance for cool products such as Contrail, NorthStar, WANDL, Cloud CPE, and Junos Space. The iX Cloud Services and Network Management team is located in the US, UK, and India and totally rocks.
  • I'm an information developer in the Information and Learning Experience (iLX) group at Juniper Networks. I'm passionate about making potentially miserable tasks like installing and configuring networking equipment less miserable and maybe even enjoyable. I've produced information deliverables for routing and switching products for longer than I care to count or admit publicly.
  • I lead the Information Engineering (iEng) team, which includes information development tools, Web and content applications at pathfinder.juniper.net, and Web and content information architecture. I enjoy leveraging a blend of my engineering and writing skills to help the Information Experience team improve the customer experience.
  • In my eight years at Juniper, I’ve developed routing and security documentation for J Series and SRX Series products. I've also played a key role in standardizing the example format being used across Juniper. I’m fortunate to be a part of the User Experience team and co-moderate the International Content Advisory Board (iCAB). My favorite pastime is identifying trees and learning more about them.
  • 30 Years in Book Publishing, 20 years in Technical Book Publishing, including Apple Developer Press, Adobe Press, Nokia Developer Books, Palm Books, and since 2001, almost 10 years as consulting editor/editor in chief for Juniper Networks Book. Joined the company and started the Day One book line and in 2011, the new This Week book line.
  • Sarah leads an "outside-in" team of digital customer experience professionals at Juniper. We ensure that you have a seamless and engaging experience on Juniper.net, and enable top-notch advocacy programs such as this J-Net community, the Juniper Ambassadors, and the International Content Advisory Board.