Automation

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Apstra, Paragon, and all things network automation.
  • 1.  How to insert a term in policy-statement (or firewall rules, nat rules etc) using ansible/pyez over netconf

Posted 09-01-2016 22:43

Hi, 

I am using Ansible/netconf to automate Junos configuration, I am facing a problem I could not find easy solution for, in some scenarios I need to insert a term to a specific position of a policy-statement which is used to control BGP route advertisement to a peer (often times the term just need to be before the "reject" term at the very end), however I can not use "insert" command in the config as it is not a valid "configuration", netconf would throw an error. Similar problem with firewall rules and nat rules, I can not put a term/rule at the specific position via netconf.

I am sure many people faced this same problem, but surprisingly I can not find an answer on the web.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: How to insert a term in policy-statement (or firewall rules, nat rules etc) using ansible/pyez over netconf

Posted 09-01-2016 23:31

Hi,

Just a thought of maybe using .set extension template for this, commands sent in "set" format.

"When configuring a device with the junos_install_config module through NETCONF, supported formats for the configuration data include ASCII text, Junos XML elements, and Junos OS set commands."

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos-ansible1.0/topics/example/junos-ansible-playbooks-device-configuring.html

I also tried to figure this out but didn't have opportunity to try it.

Cheers,

Ashvin

• 3.  RE: How to insert a term in policy-statement (or firewall rules, nat rules etc) using ansible/pyez over netconf
    Best Answer

Posted 09-02-2016 02:01

With Junos 15.1 you could do this in a single operation in XML with the following:

<configuration>
      <firewall>
        <family>
          <inet>
            <filter>
              <name>ham</name>
              <term operation="create" insert="before" name="spam">
                <name>eggs</name>
                <from>
                </from>
              </term>
            </filter>
          </inet>
        </family>
      </firewall>
    </configuration>

For earlier versions of Junos, then it would require a two step approach with the playbook, e.g. first create the term, and then another to move the term.

---
    - hosts: all
    connection: local
    roles:
    - Juniper.junos

tasks:
    - name: install_config ignore_errors: false junos_install_config: host: "{{ inventory_hostname }}" user: "{{user}}" passwd: "{{passwd}}" overwrite: "no" file: "config1.xml" - name: move_config ignore_errors: false junos_install_config: host: "{{ inventory_hostname }}" user: "{{user}}" passwd: "{passwd}}" overwrite: "no" file: "config2.xml"

config1.xml

<configuration>
      <firewall>
        <family>
          <inet>
            <filter>
              <name>ham</name>
              <term>
                <name>eggs</name>
                <from>
                </from>
              </term>
            </filter>
          </inet>
        </family>
      </firewall>
    </configuration>

config2.xml

<configuration>
      <firewall>
        <family>
          <inet>
            <filter>
              <name>ham</name>
              <term insert="before" name="spam">
                <name>eggs</name>
              </term>
            </filter>
          </inet>
        </family>
      </firewall>
    </configuration>

Regards,

Andy

• 4.  RE: How to insert a term in policy-statement (or firewall rules, nat rules etc) using ansible/pyez over netconf

Posted 09-02-2016 17:28

Thank you so much, I am trying your way out, however, junos_install_config always complains about the following XML file, "Unable to load config: ConfigLoadError",  I can not find anything obviously wrong, I got the XML format from "show config ... | display xml",  using .xml to set system host name works fine, and it definately is not a permission problem, the problem is with the following XML

<configuration>
        <policy-options>
            <policy-statement>
                <name>messaging_carrier_backup</name>
                    <term>
                        <name>telenor</name>
                        <from>
                            <protocol>bgp</protocol>
                            <router-filter>
                                <address>11.22.33.0/24</address>
                                <exact/>
                            </router-filter>
                        </from>
                        <then>
                            <as-path-prepend>65203 65203</as-path-prepend>
                            <accept/>
                        </then>
                    </term>
            </policy-statement>
        </policy-options>
    </configuration>

@asharp wrote:

With Junos 15.1 you could do this in a single operation in XML with the following:

<configuration>
      <firewall>
        <family>
          <inet>
            <filter>
              <name>ham</name>
              <term operation="create" insert="before" name="spam">
                <name>eggs</name>
                <from>
                </from>
              </term>
            </filter>
          </inet>
        </family>
      </family>
    </configuration>

• 5.  RE: How to insert a term in policy-statement (or firewall rules, nat rules etc) using ansible/pyez over netconf

Posted 09-02-2016 20:48

Debug netconf on router (SRX) revealed that I had a stupid typo in the XML file,  it should be <route-filter> while I had <router-filter>, things worked as expected, thank you @asharp very much for your help.