Automation

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Apstra, Paragon, and all things network automation.
Expand all | Collapse all

SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

• 1.  SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-04-2012 16:00

Hello All

I am trying to build a SLAX commit script to create firewall policers on demand on a device running JUNOS 12.1R1.9.  This is to avoid having to pre-configure all possible policer profiles that we might want to apply to a customer interface.

The script logic is meant to detect a policer being added to an interface and then build the referenced policer.  However I am finding that the commit fails due to the missing policer before the commit script runs, eg 

# commit check
    error: Referenced policer rate_limiter_400m not defined
    error: configuration check-out failed

I have added this line of config to the device "set system scripts commit file test.slax" but regardless of the script's contents the commit fails straight away.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Stephen

• 2.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-04-2012 22:41

Hi Stephen, could you please attach the script code? Thanks!

• 3.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-05-2012 22:33
      |   view attached

Script attached as requested.  Thanks

Attachment(s)

txt
    test2.txt   1 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-06-2012 23:29

Thanks for sharing the code; I tried it and the script actually runs before the configuration checkout.

It's not showing any output when it finds an added filter, due to a typo: the <xnm:warningerror>  should be a <xnm:warning> instead!

Now the outpus shows as expected:

warning: Found, added rate limiter+                   output rate_limiter_700m;

Just a question: the script code is meant only to raise a warning as for now, without trying to automatically build the referenced filter, is that correct? So the configuration check.out will still fail after the warning messages are displayed.

• 5.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-07-2012 02:53
      |   view attached

Thanks for the reply.  I have corrected the typo and have changed the warning to an error (to get the commit to fail based on the commit script) but am still finding that the unless the firewall policer has already been defined then the commit fails before the script gets a chance to run.

Here is the output from the device where I have tested with two policers.  rate_limiter_100m already exists in the config and rate_limiter_110m does not.  I have also attached the updated script, not sure what I am missing and any help is much appreciated.

T4000# commit check                                                                          

re0:

configuration check succeeds

re1:

error: Found, added rate limiter+                   output rate_limiter_100m;

error: 1 error reported by commit scripts

error: commit script failure

re0:

error: remote commit-configuration failed on re1

{master}[edit]

T4000# set interfaces xe-7/1/11 unit 0 family inet policer output rate_limiter_110m          

{master}[edit]

T4000# commit check                                                                   

error: Referenced policer rate_limiter_110m not defined

Attachment(s)

txt
    new_test.txt   1 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-07-2012 03:09

Just to be sure, did you update the script version on both the routing engine (a quick way is to use the "file copy" operational command)? And you could add some debugging code, just to check that the script has started, like the following at the beginning of the script:

<xnm:warning> {
            <message> "Script test2.slax started.";
        }

Let me know if the commit still seems to fail before the execution of the script!

• 7.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-07-2012 03:19

Yeap I copied the updated script to both REs and have also added the debug message.  I get the debug message but still not the error message from my script, looks like the config check process gets in first.

T4000# run file copy /var/db/scripts/commit/test.slax re1:/var/db/scripts/commit/test.slax   

{master}[edit]
    T4000# commit check                                                                           
    warning: Script test.slax started.
    re1: 
    warning: Script test2.slax started.
    error: Found, added rate limiter+                   output rate_limiter_100m;
    re0: 

{master}[edit]
    T4000# set interfaces xe-7/1/11 unit 0 family inet policer output rate_limiter_110m           

{master}[edit]
    T4000# commit check                                                                    

{master}[edit]
    T4000#

• 8.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-07-2012 03:43

I tried the last version you updated and it seems to work as expected. I still have doubts that the script loaded on re1 and the one loaded on re0 are different; also the warning messages displayed are different:

T4000# commit check                                                                           
    re1: 
    error: Found, added rate limiter+     

To check that the files have been loaded correctly, type the operational command "file show re0:/var/db/scripts/commit/test2.slax" and "file show re1:/var/db/scripts/commit/test2.slax"

• 9.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-07-2012 15:17

I have re-copied the file and using the suggested command have confirmed their contents are the same.  I still have the same behaviour - adding config that references a profile that does not exist triggers a config check out error before the logic in the script gets invoked.

T4000# set interfaces xe-7/1/11 unit 0 family inet policer output rate_limiter_100m 

{master}[edit]
    T4000# commit check 
    re1: 
    re0: 

{master}[edit]

{master}[edit]
    T4000# commit check                                                                    

• 10.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-07-2012 23:14
    Ok, thanks for double-checking it 🙂
    The warning message "script started" confirms that the script is being run, so probably something is going wrong during the execution...
    Now I would configure traceoptions in order to debug the script more deeply, this way:

# set system scripts commit traceoptions file CSCRIPT_TRACE
    # set system scripts commit traceoptions flag all

Then you can repeat the test (commit, add filter, commit again), and inspect the logs (" > show log CSCRIPT_TRACE") for any errors. If you attach the log file I will have a look at it too!

• 11.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-11-2012 18:48

I have added the traceoptions and have attached 2 log files.  In one I have added the config to reference an existing profile and in the other I have referenced a profle that does not exist.  The log files look similar to me.

• 12.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-11-2012 23:22

Hi, in the trace I see the output "......config out removed" instead of the candidate configuration (in the xml element <commit-script-input>). Did you edit the file? If not, if you read the trace from the CLI, typing "show log <log file name>" do you see the same output?

Here it is what it should look like:

[...]
    Jun  7 22:13:46 post:  paging: faults 0, reclaims 189, swaps 0
    Jun  7 22:13:46 post:  other: inb 0, outb 2, snd 1, rcv 1, sig 0, csw 2, icsw 8
    Jun  7 22:13:46 commit script input
    Jun  7 22:13:46 begin dump
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <commit-script-input xmlns:junos="http://xml.juniper.net/junos/*/junos">

<configuration junos:changed-seconds="1339107013" junos:changed-localtime="2012-06-07 22:10:13 UTC">
    <version>10.4R1.9</version>
    <system>
    [...]

I also compared your output with mine: the configuration-output variable is empty in your log, while it's showing the added configuration in mine:

<rpc-reply xmlns:junos="http://xml.juniper.net/junos/10.4R1/junos" xmlns="">
    <configuration-information>
    <configuration-output>
    [edit interfaces ge-1/0/0 unit 0 family inet]
    +       policer {
    +           output rate_limiter_400m;
    +       }
    </configuration-output>
    </configuration-information>

So it's like the script is not detecting the configuration change, thus it's not matching the added policer...In order to confirm that, I would like to see the <commit-script-input>!

i would also suggest you to copy the content of same of the script variables to the result-tree, using the copy-of statement, like this:

var $changed-config = jcs:invoke($get-config-rpc);
        copy-of $changed-config;
        var $changed-lines = jcs:break-lines($changed-config/configuration-output);
        copy-of $changed-lines;

This should generate the following output in the trace file:

<configuration-output>+           output rate_limiter_400m;</configuration-output>
      <configuration-output>+       }</configuration-output>

• 13.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-12-2012 16:26

I did edit the file as the whole config was included.  I have updated the scripts to use copy-of as suggested and have attached new log files.  Again the files contained the whole config which I have removed but have kept the lines tagged as changed, eg:

<name junos:changed="changed">xe-7/1/11</name>
    <unit junos:changed="changed">
    <name junos:changed="changed">0</name>
    <family junos:changed="changed">
    <inet junos:changed="changed">
    <policer junos:changed="changed">
    <output junos:changed="changed">rate_limiter_100m</output>

<interface junos:changed="changed">
    <name junos:changed="changed">xe-7/1/11</name>
    <unit junos:changed="changed">
    <name junos:changed="changed">0</name>
    <family junos:changed="changed">
    <inet junos:changed="changed">
    <policer junos:changed="changed">
    <output junos:changed="changed">rate_limiter_110m</output>

Again the configuration-output variable is still empty, this happens both cases (adding an existing profile or adding a non existing profile).

T4000# commit check 
    re0: 
    re1: 
    error: remote commit-configuration failed on re0

and

T4000# commit check 

Attachment(s)

txt
    working log.txt   7 KB 1 version
    txt
    failed log.txt   7 KB 1 version

• 14.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist
    Best Answer

Posted 06-13-2012 11:24

Hi, this is weird... It looks like the rpc-reply is not returning anything in the expected output. I also don't understand why the script seems to behave differently on re0 and re1 when you run the commit-check. Maybe other users can provide help on this.

I edited the script in order to work around the issue, using a probably "cleaner" logic. The attached script raises a warning whenever you add a policer; it does not perform any other check, but it can be completed if it's working.

It works fine on my testbed:

[edit]   ---> No policer is applied on interfaces

root@TEST# show | match policer | display set set firewall policer rate_limiter_100m if-exceeding bandwidth-limit 100m set firewall policer rate_limiter_100m if-exceeding burst-size-limit 150k set firewall policer rate_limiter_100m then discard [edit] root@TEST# commit warning: Test4.slax script started. commit complete [edit] ---> I apply a policer root@TEST# top set interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family inet policer output rate_limiter_100m [edit] root@TEST# commit warning: Test4.slax script started. [edit interfaces interface ge-0/0/0] warning: Found policer ---> the script detects the added policer rate_limiter_100m commit complete

Let me know if it works also on your device!

• 15.  RE: SLAX script to build a firewall policer if the referenced one does not exist

Posted 06-13-2012 22:34

The new script is great, it correctly detects the new policer reference and gives me the chance to include the logic to build the referenced policer.  Dont know why mine did not work as expected but yours gives me a great platform to work with.  Many thanks for your help with this.