Automation

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Apstra, Paragon, and all things network automation.
  • 1.  reclassifying a syslog message

Posted 05-05-2010 14:04

Is there a way to change the level for SNMP_TRAP_LINK_UP from INFO to WARNING ?

If not, I'll have to figure out how to send WARNING or higher + SNMP_TRAP_LINK_UP messages.

Also, is there a better document for syslog message interpretation than "System Log Messages Reference / Release 10.0"?  This works fine if you have a syslog message that you need to understand and decode, but I need to build alarm rules in a 3rd party application (LogRhythm), and it would be very helpful to have have something like this:

SNMP_TRAP_LINK_UP: ifIndex 628, ifAdminStatus up(1), ifOperStatus up(1), ifName st0.50

in which shows the message format

• 2.  RE: reclassifying a syslog message
    Best Answer

Posted 05-05-2010 16:00

You can't change the severity of the original message, but you can relog messages at a desired severity level by using an event script. For an example of how to do this see the change-syslog-severity.slax script on pages 74-75 of the Applying Junos Event Automation Day One Guide:

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/day-one-guides/7100110-en.pdf

• 3.  RE: reclassifying a syslog message

Posted 05-05-2010 21:47

Thank you, that is EXACTLY what (and why) I was looking for.

One note, on page 75 in the stanza:

/* If they have a PID then include it */
    if( string-length( $pid ) > 0 ) {
         expr [" _ $pid _ "]";
    }

there is a missing double-quote before the '[' character.

It should read:

/* If they have a PID then include it */
    if( string-length( $pid ) > 0 ) {
    expr
    "[" _ $pid _ "]";
    }

• 4.  RE: reclassifying a syslog message

Posted 05-06-2010 06:18

Thanks for pointing out the missing quote character. I'll add it to the list of errata.