Junos
Trusted Contributor
jmattan

9/22/09 11am PT, Live Text Chat with Training and Cert. team on new JUNOS-based certs and courseware

[ Edited ]

9/22/09 11am PT, Live Text Chat with Training and Certification team members Bill Ahlstrom, Kevin Freitas and Jan LaTourette on new JUNOS-based certifications and courseware 

Please join us Tuesday, September 22 at 11am Pacific, for a live chat with members of our Training and Certification team. We'll take your questions and discuss changes to our technical certification program, including new JUNOS-based Enterprise certifications and courseware. One of those new certifications is the JNCIS-SEC, a new security focused certification sure to be popular with SRX users. 

In case you're wondering, yes, we will give away 3 JUNOS book packs after this event so that's an added incentive to attend. What's in a book back? A JUNOS Enterprise Routing book and a JUNOS Enterprise Switching book. 

This is the second in a series of three live chats, all focused on JUNOS. If you attend all three, you could be eligible for more prizes including an Asus Netbook and an iPod Touch.  Make sure you are registered for J-Net, as you'll need that to be eligible to win. 

About the Presenters: 

Bill Ahlstrom is Technical Certification Developer and Practical Exam Proctor for the Juniper Networks Technical Certification Program and has worked in this capacity for 1 year. Before joining Juniper he spent 2 years as a contract technical instructor teaching on the M&T product platforms as well as enterprise routing courses for AT&T, Sprint and Verizon Business. Prior to his role as an instructor he worked for nearly 2.5 years at the Juniper Technical Assistance Center (JTAC) managing M&T routing cases. He also worked for 1 year in a support capacity for MSN (The Microsoft Network). Bill is scheduled to complete his BS in Computer Science at Steven's Henager College of Ogden Utah this year. His certifications include JNCIE-M #343, JNCIE-ER #37, JNCIA-EX, Juniper Certified Instructor and Comptia Security +. Bill was a BSA Eagle Scout at age 13! 

Kevin Freitas is currently the Program Manager for the global Technical Certification Program at Juniper.  Prior to his current role, he was the user interface designer for the Customer Support Center.  He’s been with Juniper for 7 years, and prior to joining the company, Kevin was finishing up his MIS degree from the University of Vermont.  Kevin is an avid Red Sox fan and typically responds to any question with “Go Sox!”. 

Jan LaTourette is a Senior Marketing Manager for Juniper Networks Customer Services and has been in this role for the past three years. Prior to joining Juniper, LaTourette was a Senior Marketing Manager at Verizon Business, Director Product Marketing at Telcordia (formerly Granite Systems), held various Product Marketing, Sales Development and Curriculum Development positions at Nortel, Wellfleet and Bay Networks, and began her career in product marketing and sales support at Wang Laboratories.  She holds a BSBA concentration in Marketing from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Jan loves to mountain bike and can almost keep up with her 13 year-old. 

How To Attend: 

1. Make sure you are a registered J-Net member. You will not be able to participate in the chat event nor participate in the contest if you are not registered. To register for a J-Net account, simply click on the "register" link on the upper left hand side of the screen, follow the registration steps to receive a J-Net login. After you have received a confirmation email from Juniper Networks, make sure you come back to J-Net and sign in to create your J-Net username.  

2. The JUNOS Live Chat URL will be posted on this thread on 9/22/09. It will also be available on J-Net's home page under the "Network Operating System" category. Simply sign in to J-Net (by clicking on the "sign in" link on the upper left hand of the screen) and join the live chat.  

Please feel free to submit your chat questions ahead of time by sending an email to j-net@juniper.net or by replying to this thread. The chat transcript will be available to J-Net members after the event for those who are unable to attend.   

Details on Promotional Give Away:

We're having a JUNOS Live Chat series on J-Net and to thank you for attending, we are giving away some prizes. We'll have three live chats and at each of them, we'll give away three JUNOS book packs consisting of one JUNOS Enterprise Routing and one JUNOS Enterprise Switching book.  In addition, for those attending all three events, we'll include you in a drawing for one Asus EEE PC Netbook computer and one 16GB iPod Touch.  

Here's what you need to do to enter the drawing for all of the prizes described above:

1.        If you haven't joined J-Net, register for a free account.

2.        To be eligible for the JUNOS book packs, by 5pm Pacific time the day of the live chat, email the following information to j-net@juniper.net

• Your J-Net username
  • Your full name and mailing address.
  • The answer to the question we ask during the live chat.

3.        To be eligible for the Asus Netbook and iPod Touch prizes, please email the following information to j-net@juniper.net by 5pm Pacific time on October 6, 2009:

• Your J-Net username
  • Your full name and mailing address.
  • The answer to all three live chat questions in this series

That's it! So jump in, add your voice, share your knowledge, and have some fun.   

* Prizes include one Asus EEE PC, one 16GB iPod Touch media players, nine JUNOS book packs consisting of one JUNOS Enterprise Routing and one JUNOS Enterprise Switching book. No purchase necessary. Must be 18 years or older to be eligible to win the prize(s). Void where prohibited by law. Winner(s) will be selected via random drawing. Promotion ends at midnight PST on October 6, 2009. Limit one entry per person. To be entered into the prize drawing, you must have a valid J-Net account. Winners will be notified by October 15, 2009. Netbook/iPod models are subject to availability and may differ from photos shown in advertising materials.

Message Edited by jmattan on 09-15-2009 08:09 AM 

Message Edited by jmattan on 09-15-2009 08:09 AM

Message Edited by jmattan on 09-16-2009 11:02 AM
Message Edited by jmattan on 09-16-2009 11:03 AM
Message Edited by jmattan on 09-16-2009 11:07 AM
Contributor
sushilmenon

Re: 9/22/09 11am PT, Live Text Chat with Training and Cert. team on new JUNOS-based certs and course

Hi Jeff,

It good to have someone from juniper for answering our curiosity abt juniper certs. 

I have done my jncia-fw & preparing for jncis-fw. I would like to know in the near future i think the screenos certs will expire so people should right away move to srx certs on junos. 

Is there a JNCIE-SEC cert in the pipeline like ccie security. Has juniper anything planned in that direction. We can start preparing ourselves on junos rather than spending time & money on screenos certs. 

Can you please let us know. It would be great to know for a JNCIE cert on Security. 

Regards

Sushil 

Trusted Contributor
jmattan

Re: 9/22/09 11am PT, Live Text Chat with Training and Cert. team on new JUNOS-based certs and course

Thanks for the coment Sushil.  I'll submit this to the presenters as a pre event question as I honestly don't know all of the future plans for -SEC cert levels. I do know that the JNCIS-SEC is a first step given all of the curiosity from ScreenOS users toward JUNOS.

Thanks,
Jeff

Contributor
sushilmenon

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for forwarding my query to the presenters. I know the question i asked abt JNCIE-SEC is too early to get a answer for it. But the only reason i asked it was there was a JNCIE-Firewall cert in BETA which was only available to Juniper Employees and some of them cleared it too but then the exam was scraped because of new junos Firewall. So i am curious to know there would a JNCIE-SEC as well in roadmap. 

Thanks & Regards

Sushil Menon

Trusted Contributor
jmattan

No problem at all Sushil. I'm hoping the presenters can answer tomorrow but, if not, stay in touch with me and I'll work to get an answer for you.

Jeff

Regular Visitor
Venture37

If I'm not mistaken the juniper certification path expects you to have previous networking experience or certification which it builds on, are there plans for introducing a foundation certification which covers the fundamentals of networking so one doesn't have to start off with the CCENT/CCNA/A+ before moving onto the Juniper certification???

Trusted Contributor
jmattan

We’ve found that the overwhelming majority of people who earn Juniper certifications come to us with some networking/security background and many already have other technical certifications. So our program, including Fast Track, has been built with that in mind.

As time has gone on, we’ve seen more of a need for networking fundamentals type information in our program and we developed a computer based training module focused on networking fundamentals. I'm checking with our training people to see if they'd like to add anything and I'll look for the URL of that training module as well.

With that said, we don’t have a foundation certification at this time.

Jeff

New User
Pete_in_Perth

Hi Jeff,

I am interested in the new exams - JN0-100 and JN0-331.

I need to know what version of Junos is used in each exam please ?

thanks

Pete

Trusted Contributor
ac

[9/22/09 Update]  The chat URL is http://forums.juniper.net/jnet/chat?chat.id=junoschat. Chat will open at 11AM PT on 9/22/2009.
Trusted Contributor
jmattan

Hi Pete. This same question came up today on the JUNOS live chat and here's the answer.

For the written exams there isn't a specific version of Junos associated with them. The things our written exams test on aren't typically subject to change throughout versions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.