Junos OS

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  CoS policies Design

Posted 06-11-2015 12:11

Hello Expert

I would like to know, what is the basis of CoS policies design? Lets say the router outgoing interface has 1G bandwidth, On basis of what we decide how many classes we will make and how we will distribute the bandwidth and priority?

Appreciated 

• 2.  RE: CoS policies Design

Posted 06-14-2015 23:46

In my opinion it depands a little on the kinds of traffic you have on your network and how you need / want to give priority to that kinds of traffic.

Let say you have: 5 kinds of traffic you need to handle : VOICE / VIDEO / Remote Desktop Protocol / VPN-traffic and normal internet traffic.

First you need to make a priority list out of them. See my example

Prio 1:  VOICE

Prio 2:  VPN traffic

Prio 3:  Video

Prio 4:  Remote desktop traffic

Prio 5:  Internet Traffic

Now you can start assigning queues to your traffic, Junos has 4 COS profiles defined by default (See the explenation below)

Just an example:

Prio 1:  Assured-Forwarding

Prio 2:  Expedited Forwarding

Prio 5: Best Effort

Let me explain it a little:

For SRX and J-series devices you have eight queues built into the hardware, four queues are assigned to four forwarding classes by default.

Queues 4  through 7 are not assigned by default. If you need / want to use them you have to create forwarding classes yourself.

In a default setup all incoming packets, except the IP protocol control packets, are assigned to the forwarding class associated with queue 0. All IP protocol control packets are assigned to the forwarding class associated with queue 3

Default assigned queues on J-Series / SRX

Queue 0

best-effort (BE)

The Juniper Networks device does not apply any special CoS handling to packets with 000000 in the DiffServ field, a backward compatibility feature. These packets are usually dropped under congested network conditions.

Queue 1

expedited-forwarding (EF)

The Juniper Networks device delivers assured bandwidth, low loss, low delay, and low delay variation (jitter) end-to-end for packets in this service class.

Devices accept excess traffic in this class, but in contrast to assured forwarding, out-of-profile expedited-forwarding packets can be forwarded out of sequence or dropped.

Queue 2

assured-forwarding (AF)

The Juniper Networks device offers a high level of assurance that the packets are delivered as long as the packet flow from the customer stays within a certain service profile that you define.

The device accepts excess traffic, but applies a random early detection (RED) drop profile to determine whether the excess packets are dropped and not forwarded.

Three drop probabilities (low, medium, and high) are defined for this service class.

Queue 3

network-control (NC)

The Juniper Networks device delivers packets in this service class with a low priority. (These packets are not delay sensitive.)

Typically, these packets represent routing protocol hello or keepalive messages. Because loss of these packets jeopardizes proper network operation, delay is preferable to discard.

Now you can create 4 more queues if you need them.

Have a look at https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-es/junos-es93/junos-es-swconfig-interfaces-and-routing/default-cos-settings.html

Hope this helps a little

• 3.  RE: CoS policies Design

Posted 06-15-2015 12:54

Thank you. It really hepled. If I take your example and I have below five traffic with network protocols a well (like ospf, stp etc)

VOICE

VPN traffic

Video

Remote desktop traffic

Internet Traffic

Network protocol

If I have 1G pipe then in your opinion how much bandwidth and priority should I assign to each type of traffic, specially network protocol?

• 4.  RE: CoS policies Design
    Best Answer

Posted 06-15-2015 21:22

It depends a little how much traffic you are doing and how hard you need to implement cos. I would suggest with something like this:

• Voice (18%)
    • Video (15%)
    • Best Effort traffic (internet) (25%)
    • Critical data (42%)

• 5.  RE: CoS policies Design

Posted 07-05-2015 21:24

thank you