Junos OS

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Controlling the /var/log/mastership file?

Posted 07-07-2014 05:47

Hi,

Can anyone perhaps tell me what system process is creating and writing to the file /var/log/mastership?

Our syslog configuration does not have any information about the mastership file and thus it looks as if a system process is writing directly into the mastership file and not through the syslog system.

As a test, I added the mastership file into the syslog configuration and after that, the system did not write anything from before into the mastership file.  It is as if the syslog configuration and opening the mastership file has somehow blocked a system process to write to this file.

I have subsequently removed the mastership from the syslog configuration and deleted the mastership file, but alas, the system is not writing to the mastership file as before.

P.S.  This is related to the other issue we are having as written in this forum message:

'event = E_NO_IPC' in the /var/log/mastership log file?

#mastership

• 2.  RE: Controlling the /var/log/mastership file?
    Best Answer

Posted 07-07-2014 23:59

This would be the chassisd process. Chassisd runs on both REs and there are keepalives exchanged between the two of them and this is logged in the file that you mentioned.

I'm not sure if there is any side effect that the process cannot write to the /var/log/mastership file.

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 3.  RE: Controlling the /var/log/mastership file?

Posted 07-21-2014 02:42

An update:

After trying to filter this message out through the configuration, the file was not been written to anymore by the chassisd.

Thus, the only answer was to not do any log filtering on the file and let the chassisd keep writing this message to the file.  We are now basically ignoring this file since it is near to impossible to spot other messages in the mastership file due to how frequent the other message is.