Converting SSG to JunOS

Hi,  I am trying to convert a SSG 550M to JunOS

SSG has a 128MB flash card and ScreenOS 5.4.0r8.0

I logged in, and per the migration instructions pdf did:

SSG550-> set boot junos
SSG550-> save
Save System Configuration  ...
Done

However after swapping the CF card to one with JunOS, the device will not boot.  It does not recognize the boot device.  I swapped the CF cards, booted ScreenOS again and repeated the process, but no luck.

I'm swapping with a 1GB 3rd party CF card that is tested to work fine in a J4350. 

Does anyone have any ideas for something I might have missed?  Should J4350 CF & software run on SSG550 (hardware platform is same family so I thought yes)

Trusted Expert
Automate

Re: Converting SSG to JunOS

I've never heard of a DIY version of the upgrade. My understanding is you need a new eeprom as well. We sell a kit for the conversion which includes everything.

-Keith
Visitor
tqmark

That may make sense.  I read the documentation here [1], under section "Converting an SSG 500M-series Security Device to a J-series Services Router".  It says you just need to run 'set boot junos', 'save' in ScreenOS and then swap the CF cards.

I couldn't find a list of what is included in the conversion kit:  SSG-550M-J-CONV-S

Are you sure the conversion kit includes a eeprom?  I also couldn't find mention of what size CF card is included in the conversion kit.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/hardware/junos-jseries/junos-jseries96/junos-jseries-conversion-500M...

Recognized Expert
NateK

I have a J4350 to SSG 520M conversion kit and the kit came with the following:

• Sticker/mylar deal to change the front of the device to look like an SSG 520M
  • 512 Mb pre-formatted CF with ScreenOS on it

It looks like the J6350 and SSG 550M are the same hardware per KB16434.

I'm looking at the Juniper instructions and the docs are a bit wonky.

You would need/want 'set boot junos' if you were leaving the original ScreenOS CF card in the device and wanted to boot the device from a JUNOS formatted CF card.

I'm not sure why one would really want to do this when you could just as easily power down the device and swap the internal CF/brain so that the device only contains a JUNOS formatted CF card.

You don't really need 'set boot junos' if you are swapping out the internal CF card.

Contributor
petus

Make sure the SSG550M is running 6.1 and higher.Then get the conversion kit from Juniper(sticker and USB stick)

Insert the stick to USB 0

set boot junos usb

save

reset

Then the device will boot in Junos.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.