Junos OS

last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  EX 3200/ 4200 Switch Recovery

Posted 02-08-2013 08:25
      |   view attached

Hi experts: I want to share my experience which might be helpful in tough situation. Actually one of my assistant was upgrading Junos on an EX 3200 48T switch. The process failed due to power interruption. The switch then got halted on Loader prompt. We tried to install Junos from loader prompt by using TFPT. FTP and USB but all efforts in vain. I don't know the reasons. Then I got consulted documents about FreeBSD .. I got devised another way to recover the switch by using Bootable flash drive. Snapshot of another working switch as was saved on a USB drive ... Then switch was recovered.. Complete sequence of action followed during recovery operation are appended at document attached..

Please mark this as accepted solution if it is helpful to you. Kudos is always Welcomed

Regards

Attachment(s)

pdf
    EX3200 boot problem(1).pdf   12 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: EX 3200/ 4200 Switch Recovery

Posted 05-01-2013 00:32

Hi,

Have you tried this procedure?

It is recovery via USB.

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB10386

If so, Try to arrange for an RMA if USB and TFTP recovery failed. 

But before that, you may call on the JTAC support to report the problem you encountered.

Here is the link for JTAC Support:

http://www.juniper.net/support/requesting-support.html

• 3.  RE: EX 3200/ 4200 Switch Recovery
    Best Answer

Posted 08-17-2013 10:29

You know JTAC require time and money for assistance, sometime you are caught in paucity of time and money so you have to devise your own way to resolve issues

Kashif Nawaz

JNCIA-Junos, JNCIS-Ent,JNCIS-Sec,JNCIP-Sec

• 4.  RE: EX 3200/ 4200 Switch Recovery

Posted 09-18-2013 08:02

Hi, all. to recover your EX switch what you have to do is, just fol the easy steps given below:-

1. Format your USB drive (FAT32, exFAT)
    2. Copy Junos (.tgz) file (Not the signed one)
    3. Insert USB into your device
    4. Switch On device
    5. Go to loader prompt
    6. issue command (install file:///juniperimage.tgz)

Untitled.jpg

• 5.  RE: EX 3200/ 4200 Switch Recovery

Posted 10-08-2013 09:09

Dear thanks for reply, but in some situation install file:////filename and install tfpt:/// do not work , do not know exact reasons behind it but might some issue in loader.conf file . In some situation you might encounter message that "install" file is not recognized. But you have to recover the device in very short time , the best way which I devised after going through lot of documents for freeBSD and Junos recovery is is attached in my above post. Download it and try this one on experimental basis its really wonderful to rover the device when peer in your team hands up and stuck up in such a bad situation .. Kudos is best way of appreciation

Kashif Nawaz

JNCIP-Sec, JINCS-Ent and Sec JNCIA-Juons

• 6.  RE: EX 3200/ 4200 Switch Recovery

Posted 08-02-2016 01:59

Hi,

Following your procedure I got thi error

loader> unload
    loader> unset vfs.root.mountfrom
    no such file or directory
    loader>

Any suggestion?

• 7.  RE: EX 3200/ 4200 Switch Recovery

Posted 08-02-2016 03:23

From the loader prompt attempt a fresh install of Junos.  Insert a USB with the file before starting up and use these instructions to run the install from the USB drive.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB10386