Junos OS

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Help needed - No Elf Image

Posted 01-29-2012 19:25

Hello.  I have an SRX that will not boot.  I made the mistake of upgrading from 9.6 to 10.4 without first going to 10.0.  Now, the SRX will not boot up and just goes to a => prompt.  I've tried several of the commands to no avail.  Most recently, I have tried 'tftpboot' which seems to have set ge-0/0/0 with IP address 192.168.168.218 and it's looking for the tftp server 192.168.168.9.  The file it's looking for is DAA8A8C0.img.  Does anyone know what this file is and where I can get a copy? 

Or, has anyone succesfully returned from this 'no elf image' error message?

Help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

-Jared

• 2.  RE: Help needed - No Elf Image

Posted 01-30-2012 09:57

Below is a link with step-by-step instructions for how to install Junos on an SRX devices, using a tftpserver.  This will format the internal media.  I've not personally done/tested this procedure.  But, hopefully it will help you recover.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-security/junos-security10.4/junos-security-admin-guide/index.html?section-srx-series-tftp-loader.html#section-srx-series-tftp-loader

Regards,

Ben

• 3.  RE: Help needed - No Elf Image

Posted 01-30-2012 19:35

Hi Ben,  Thanks for the link; it's allowed me to make some progress.  My 210 has no issues getting to the U-boot prompt and I was able to set the tftp environment variables:  ip, netmask, gateway, server ip.  Resetting has never been an issue.  

I cannot access the Loader Prompt.  Rather than getting the message during bootup about "Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf", mine returns "## No elf image at address 1x00100000" and goes straight back to the u-boot prompt.  

Without the Loader Prompt, the procedure described in the link will not work.

But, now that I know I'm dealing with a corrupt, or missing, Loader Prompt, I can refine my searches to hopefully find a solution.

-Jared

• 4.  RE: Help needed - No Elf Image

Posted 01-31-2012 06:08

Hello Jared,

to you have access to another SRX? If so then you can create an snapshot on a USB stick and boot your broken SRX from the stick. After this you can push the a snapshot from the stick to the internal memory.

With

request system snapshot media usb

you can create the snapshot on the usb.

Greetings

Joern

• 5.  RE: Help needed - No Elf Image
    Best Answer

Posted 01-31-2012 09:06

It looks like the boot loader image is missing/corrupt.  You can attempt to re-install the boot loader from tftp.  Then you should be able to install the junos image from usb, or tftp.

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB14175

This KB articles includes instructions to upgrade the u-boot image, and re-install the boot loader from tftp.  Most likely, you only need to install the boot loader (starts at step 5), and not upgrade u-boot.

If attempts to install the boot loader from tftp also fail. Then I recommend opening a case with JTAC.

Regards,

Ben

• 6.  RE: Help needed - No Elf Image

Posted 01-31-2012 19:45

Thanks again for the assistance Ben.  That KB is very helpful and will probably solve my issue. However, it references two files that I cannot seem to find anywhere.  Do you know where I can find these files?  u-boot-crc.bin and loader_crc.

From all I've read, the BIOS is corrupted on my SRX210.  And since the BIOS consists of u-boot and loader, I'm confident that reinstalling these files will resolve my problems.

I do have a call out to Juniper support on this; maybe they can send me the files.

-Jared

• 7.  RE: Help needed - No Elf Image

Posted 02-01-2012 08:04

@logicjunos wrote:

Thanks again for the assistance Ben.  That KB is very helpful and will probably solve my issue. However, it references two files that I cannot seem to find anywhere.  Do you know where I can find these files?  u-boot-crc.bin and loader_crc.

It is mentioned in the KB article.

"Also - The JUNOS 10.0 image contains the latest boot loader binaries in the following path: /boot/uboot, /boot/loader."

You can extract it from the junos-srxsme* tarball, available for downlaod on the support page.  Or locate it on another branch-srx.

Regards,

Ben