Junos OS

last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Install media or Install Package

Posted 06-16-2008 06:34
    hi I want to make PCMCIA for upgrading our M series routers. Which kind of Junos version should i use the install media or the install package? and what's the different between them ? Thanks !

• 2.  RE: Install media or Install Package

Posted 06-16-2008 07:15

I was just about to reply to the other thread... but i'll hit this one first.

If you are creating a new PCMCIA or USB install device, you have to download the "install-media" file.

You use the "jinstall" when you are just downloading the file to the router to upgrade there.

The "install-media" is a binary image designed to become bootable, which is why you have to use the special process to write the image to the PCMCIA rather than just copying the file.

#"software
    #PCMCIA
    #install-media
    #packages"

• 3.  RE: Install media or Install Package

Posted 06-16-2008 07:56
    so, if i upgrade the router from remote (by telnet) i use the install package version ?

• 4.  RE: Install media or Install Package

Posted 06-17-2008 00:52

No. The install package version should only be used with the PCMCIA card (or USB). The install package will complete install all software onto the router and return the router to factory defaults. All configuration, logs etc will be lost. Once the installation is complete, the PCMCIA card should also be removed to prevent that the software is installed again from scratch when the router reboots.

I would recommend that you read through the release notes of the JUNOS version you are hoping to use as they contain information about upgrading and downgrading etc.

Here is the link to JUNOS 9.1 release notes.

JUNOS 9.1 Release Notes

• 5.  RE: Install media or Install Package

Posted 06-17-2008 01:14

Hi All,

I think people are getting confused by the very similar terminology here.

The install-media-* is what is required to build a PCMCIA/CF/USB that can be used to completely reformat a RE and return it to a factory default state.  This image is a complete media image, therefore it has to be 'installed' onto the external card using the 'dd' command exactly as described on the webpage from which you download it.

The jinstall-* and the jbundle-* are software upgrade packages.  The jinstall-* invokes a slightly more complete upgrade process, which is sometimes useful/required when upgrading between major versions (e.g. where the underlying kernel is upgraded, too).  In general, I use the jinstall-* anyway because it is cleaner (the jbundle-* can invoke a slightly lighter - less intrusive - upgrade process, which should be fine for minor upgrades).

Rgds,

Guy