Junos OS

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Installation from USB - Files Deleted

Posted 02-08-2012 12:21

OK I am probably just doing something stupid here but whenever I use USB to install junos on the EX platform, my USB drive is wiped.  This doesn't happen on the SRX's I've tried.  What am I doing wrong (or not doing)?

• 2.  RE: Installation from USB - Files Deleted

Posted 02-08-2012 12:53

I also tried changing the file permissions for root to r-x, but that didn't seem to do the trick.  I'm all confused.

• 3.  RE: Installation from USB - Files Deleted
    Best Answer

Posted 02-08-2012 17:53

The EX platform has a built in "cleanup" feature that erases all files from /var/tmp. You are a victim of that wonderful feature when you install from a USB as the mount point is off of that. Fun stuff when you want to install multiple switches from the same stick. Best to copy over to your logged in home dir before installing and then dismount and pull the stick.

• 4.  RE: Installation from USB - Files Deleted

Posted 02-09-2012 05:08

That would explain it then!  So I should just mkdir as in /var/home/username/usb/ and use that as the mount point instead?

• 5.  RE: Installation from USB - Files Deleted

Posted 02-09-2012 07:43

Yes - of course remembering to clean up after yourself so you don't run out of disc space now that big brother Juniper is not taking care of you 🙂

• 6.  RE: Installation from USB - Files Deleted

Posted 05-02-2016 05:30

Sorry to HiJack this thread.  Is there not a command to supress the deletion when mounted via USB?  I am upgrading several switches manually.  In either case I have to do a manual copy of the file.  This adds much more time to my process.

I would rather just add a command to the installer to surpress the deletion from the usb.