Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  J routers - upgrade compact flash / upgrade junos

Posted 09-24-2013 10:45

Hello

J2320 - upgrade flash / upgrade Junos

I have recently upgraded some J2320 routers from version 8.x to 11.4 - I used the J2320's removable flash card slot

to create a system snapshot on to a new 1G San Disk flash and then installed the 1G San Disk flash internally and booted from it. I then upgraded from 8.x to 9.x - 10.x and then 11.4 which was successful.

I then used that routers removable flash card slot to create 6 snapshots (6 x 1G Flash) for other J2320 routers which has made to software upgrade for these very easy all that was required was to change the config.

J6350 Routers

Can I use the same method for upgrading my J6350 router - for example using a j2320 routers removable flash card slot create a system snapshot on to a 1G San Disk flash and then install this in the J6350 and boot from it.

I believe the images for the J routers are the same.

Has anyone done this?

• 2.  RE: J routers - upgrade compact flash / upgrade junos

Posted 09-24-2013 17:54

Hi,

"Before upgrading, be sure to back up the currently running and active file system and configuration so that you can recover to a known, stable environment in case the upgrade is unsuccessful. To back up the file system, you must have a removable compact flash disk installed on a J4300 or J6300 Services Router, or a USB drive installed on any J-series Services Router. The backup device must have a storage capacity of at least 256 MB.

To back up the file system to the removable CompactFlash card, issue the following command:

user@host> request system snapshot media removable-compact-flash

To back up the file system to the removable USB drive, issue the following command:

user@host> request system snapshot media usb"

You may check further details on this page:
    https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/jseries/junos92/rn-jseries-92/jd0e552.html

• 3.  RE: J routers - upgrade compact flash / upgrade junos

Posted 09-25-2013 12:19

The J6350 does not have a Removable Flash

• 4.  RE: J routers - upgrade compact flash / upgrade junos
    Best Answer

Posted 09-26-2013 15:32
    Yes you can use a j2320 to create a new flash card just,like you did for the other upgrades.

I have physically completed this procedure from a j2350 to both a j2320 and a j6350 with no issue you just have to have the config backed up to apply it to the new flash once it boots.

• 5.  RE: J routers - upgrade compact flash / upgrade junos

Posted 09-27-2013 09:45

Thanks

Just tested it and I can confirm the j2320 flash works in the j6350.

Boots up and works