Junos
New User
dev13

Juniper LOGICAL-Router or LOGICAL-System

Hello All,

I am little new to JUNOS and trying to understand logical-router or logical-system configuration. I guess logical-router and logical-system both are the same thing right? How can i enter into logica-router or logical-system so i can do continuous configuration for that logical-router/system rathar than configuring logical-route/system parameters by puting logical-system or logical-router key workd in each and every command. as well as what are the other limitation will i have in terms of bulind up testing lab with the help of logical-router in one or two j-series or m-series routers?

thanks,

Dev

Distinguished Expert
aarseniev

Re: Juniper LOGICAL-Router or LOGICAL-System

Beginning from JUNOS 9.3, logical-routers feature have been renamed to logical-systems:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos93/feature-guide/logical-systems.html#id-1113921...

In ordre to restrict user rights to configure a particular logical-system only (and not have access to global configuration) you have to define logical-system admins/users:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos93/feature-guide/configuring-logical-systems.htm...

Once defined, these admins/users will be able to configure their logical-system only when logged in, without prefixing config line with "logical-system blah"

Is that what you are asking? 

dev13

I was looking for how can i enter into particular logical-system configration mode and can configure things which is related to that logical-system only so I dont have to use logical-system keyword in each and every command when doing configuration from defalut logical-system configuration mode. As well as I also want to know how logical routers are connected with each other with in one physical router? I have setup two locial-systems and link beetwnen them is showing down/up status so how can i make interface administratively in up/up mode in order to make communication between logical-systems.

thanks,

Dev 

Recognized Expert
benb

Once in edit mode, the operator can do 'edit logical-system <logical-system-name>'.  After that, you will notice your prompt change, such that your context is now at the level of that logical-system.  From there, configure changes will be made to that hierarchy.

If you have physical connections (fiber/cable) between interface in two different logical-systems, you configure the physical properties of the interfaces in the master instance.  And, the logical interface bits go in the respective logical-system configuration.

If you don't have a physical connection.  You will need to install a services PIC, and use lt- (logical-tunnel) interfaces.

Regards,

Ben

Recognized Expert
Loup2

Hi, 

You can also see some examples that I already gave here:

http://forums.juniper.net/jnet/board/message?board.id=JUNOS&message.id=1703#M1703

HTH

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.