Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Junos Upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2

Posted 10-20-2008 00:30

Dear All,

how can i make a safe upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2, and can i upgrade it directly!! i heard once that i cant upgrade more than 3 releases at once or is it only for downgrade!!

#upgrade

• 2.  RE: Junos Upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2

Posted 10-20-2008 01:05

Hi Arzo

Officially a large jump upgrade is not supported. In practice however ig generally goes without a problem, especially if your configuration is relatively simple. I would suggest you try it on a single lab device with full configuration and confirm that the configuration is still OK after the upgrade. During the upgrade procedure you will need to use the no-validate option.

lab@router> request system software add no-validate jinstall-9.2R2.13-domestic-signed.tgz

• 3.  RE: Junos Upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2

Posted 10-20-2008 01:45

thank you anton for your kind replay,

i need to perform this upgrade on M40e and M320 with a huge configuration on it, both routers i think have redundant RE, but i cant risk at all with them, i will have a small downtime to finish this and i dont have M series device at my lab in the moment, i searched the support pages looking for something informing me how to finalize this issue but i didnt found anything regarding directly upgrade or not. 

i appretiate your kind help, i think i need to open a case with this issue. thank you my friend.

• 4.  RE: Junos Upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2
    Best Answer

Posted 10-20-2008 01:49

Well the problem I assume with a case is that jump will not be supported. The official statement will be that you will first need to go to 8.4 and than you will need a release somewhere between 9.2 and 8.4. This makes the final officially supported solution something like.

8.1 -> 8.4 -> 9.0 -> 9.2

• 5.  RE: Junos Upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2

Posted 10-20-2008 01:56
    thank you so much anton, thats the answer i wanted to go on with this issue.. i cant take a risk with 100% not sure, but with your answer now, we can go for it and we will see, mostly it will work perfectly. thanks again.