Junos OS

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Junos upgrade path

Posted 09-19-2016 05:00

Dears,

We will upgrade our MX960 from 11.2R5.4 to 14.1R7 , can you advise about the most optimized upgrade path ?

• 2.  RE: Junos upgrade path

Posted 09-19-2016 05:29

Hi Kayssar,

You will have to first upgrade to 11.4 and from there you can safely upgrade to 12.3  and from there to 14.1, though you should be able to directly upgrade to 14.1 version as well

Please refer the below link;

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/12.3/topic-69687.html

Support for upgrades and downgrades that span more than three Junos OS releases at a time is not provided, except for releases that are designated as Extended End-of-Life (EEOL) releases. EEOL releases provide direct upgrade and downgrade paths—you can upgrade directly from one EEOL release to the next EEOL release even though EEOL releases generally occur in increments beyond three releases.

Please refer the below link to understand the versions for EEOL;

http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/junos.html

• 3.  RE: Junos upgrade path

Posted 09-19-2016 06:14

Hi Shailesh, 

If i should be able to directly upgrade to 14.1 version as you said ,  why i should go through all those intermediate versions ? 

Br.

• 4.  RE: Junos upgrade path

Posted 09-19-2016 06:40

Hi Again, 

So  i can do like that 11.2>11.4>14.1 right ? is it just a recommandation or the upgrade will fail if i go from 11.2 directly to 14.1 ? 

"To upgrade or downgrade from a non-EEOL release to a release more than three releases before or after, first upgrade to the next EEOL release and then upgrade or downgrade from that EEOL release to your target release."

Can you also kindly indicate from were can i get 11.4 EEOL version ? it dont exist on Juniper site 

• 5.  RE: Junos upgrade path

Posted 09-19-2016 09:48

Hi Kayssar,

You can upgrade like you indicated but there may be lot of changes that would have got introduced between these releases and hence the recommendation to go via an interim release, though you can go ahead with the mentioned plan as well.

The 11.4 version would not be available on the Juniper site, you will have to request for the same by opening a case with JTAC or your accounts team could help with the same.

Opening a case with JTAC would be easy and fast method to get the 11.4 version.