Junos
Recognized Expert
PentinProcessor

Load Balancing Layer 3 VPN Traffic Using IP Header Filtering (new NCE - Network Configuration Ex)

Load Balancing Layer 3 VPN Traffic Using IP Header Filtering

This NCE explains why load balancing is useful and describes how to configure load balancing in a Layer 3 VPN (with internal and external BGP paths) using IP header filtering.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/information-products/topic-collections/nce/eibgp-loa...

Super Contributor
Super Contributor
Ulf

Re: Load Balancing Layer 3 VPN Traffic Using IP Header Filtering (new NCE - Network Configuration Ex

Hi,

- there is a minor typo at page 9 / 4.c which says "Include the vrf-target-label statement at ...". I think it should read "Include the vrf-table-label statement at ..."

- any reason why next-hop-self is only configured at PE3?

- the step-by-step instructions don't mention to configure BGP-group "toAS2" on CE2 (insert before 2.c)

- not sure if in "Verifying Next Hops" stating "The detailed output listed here shows that ... 10.1.6.21 is the preferred next hop." is the right thing to do. Yes, it's technically right (as the control-plance doesn't give much of an indication that load-balancing is enabled), but rather counter-intuitive ...

- for "Verifying Load Balancing Using IP Header Filtering" there is no example output provided

- not sure I get the document-title/-aim "Load Balancing Layer 3 VPN Traffic Using IP Header Filtering" right. You only use "IP Header Filtering" for verification but not for the actual load-balancing, right?

Best Regards

Ulf

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Juniper Employee
ExamplesGuy

Re: Load Balancing Layer 3 VPN Traffic Using IP Header Filtering (new NCE - Network Configuration Ex

Thank you for the feedback Ulf.

Yes the vrf-target-label statement is a typo. I will change it to vrf-table-label.

I will research you other concerns and contact you directly.

Regards

Roy

Juniper Employee
ExamplesGuy

Thanks again for the feedback Ulf.

Here are some additional responses.

- there is a minor typo at page 9 / 4.c which says "Include the vrf-target-label statement at ...". I think it should read "Include the vrf-table-label statement at ..."

>>This will be corrected in Junos release 12.2 documentation. If time allows, it will be corrected it in the release 12.1 documentation also.

- any reason why next-hop-self is only configured at PE3?

>>We are researching if this is required in a real-world scenario. If the next-hop-self configuration is required on other devices to make the example work in the real world, it will be added to the example. This will be corrected in Junos release 12.2 documentation. If time allows I will try to correct it in the release 12.1 documentation also.

- the step-by-step instructions don't mention to configure BGP-group "toAS2" on CE2 (insert before 2.c)

>>This will be corrected in Junos release 12.2 documentation. If time allows, it will be corrected it in the release 12.1 documentation also.

- not sure if in "Verifying Next Hops" stating "The detailed output listed here shows that ... 10.1.6.21 is the preferred next hop." is the right thing to do. Yes, it's technically right (as the control-plance doesn't give much of an indication that load-balancing is enabled), but rather counter-intuitive ...

>>This will be reworded in Junos release 12.2 documentation. If time allows, it will be reworded it in the release 12.1 documentation also.

- for "Verifying Load Balancing Using IP Header Filtering" there is no example output provided

>>The firewall setup and testing is not a part of the example. The example output is not available.

>>It is assumed that users who already use egress filtering will be able to have this feature working.

>>A note will be added to the Junos release 12.2 documentation. If time allows, it will be added in the release 12.1 documentation also.

- not sure I get the document-title/-aim "Load Balancing Layer 3 VPN Traffic Using IP Header Filtering" right.

>>The example overview does explain:

>> “The Junos OS BGP provides a multipath feature that allows load balancing between

peers in the same or different autonomous systems (ASs). This example uses the

equal-external-internal statement at the [edit routing-instances instance-name

routing-options multipath vpn-unequal-cost] hierarchy level to perform load balancing.

The vrf-table-label statement is configured at the [edit routing-instances instance-name]

hierarchy level to enable IP header filtering.”

>>The title might be revised in the Junos release 12.2 documentation.

You only use "IP Header Filtering" for verification but not for the actual load-balancing, right?

>>That is correct.

>>A note will be added to the Junos release 12.2 documentation. If time allows, it will be added in the release 12.1 documentation also.

Thanks again

Roy

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.