Junos
Trusted Contributor
SapphireNET

MPLS LSP with static labels swapping at edge

hello

I have the requirement of setting up an RSVP LSP between to PE nodes.  The CE equipment in this case will be sending me MPLS labelled traffic, but it doesnt support any automatic label signalling protocol.  So I need to manually configure the tunnel and vpn labels on the CE device.

What I want to do is hang these equipment from my junos PE and have an RSVP signalled LSP between the Junos PE devices.  And have a static label mapped into the LSP?

I can see a way of having a completely static LSP, but cannot find a way of having static label swaps on edge port and having this mapped into the LSP.

any ideas?

JNCIS-M, JNCIS-SEC
Distinguished Expert
aarseniev

Re: MPLS LSP with static labels swapping at edge

Hello,
If CE is directly connected/single-homed to Juniper PE, I suggest you don't bother with tunnel label and configure only VPN labels on CE and local Juniper PE. And then use vt-* interfaces on local Juniper PE to inject/extract traffic to/from correct VRF on local PE. This way you can have all the nice MPLS features (FRR, autobw, etc) working betwen local Juniper PE and remote PE:

interfaces {
    vt-1/2/0 {
        unit 1 {
            family inet;
        }
    }
}
protocols {
    mpls {
        interface ge-0/0/0.100 {
            label-map 1000949 {
                next-hop vt-1/2/0.1;
                pop;
            }
    }
}
routing-instances {
    VRF1 {
        instance-type vrf;
        interface ge-0/0/2.200;
        interface vt-1/2/0.1;
        route-distinguisher 64512:100;
        vrf-target target:64512:100;
        routing-options {
            static {
                route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 10.2.2.2;
            }
            auto-export;
        }
    }
}

Of course, RSVP/LDP LSP between local Juniper PE and remote PE is required.

HTH

Rgds

Alex

SapphireNET

Hi Alex

From your example Is my understanding correct:

your CE facing interface is ge-0/0/0.100 and recieves VPN label 1000949 from CE device?

so the pop on the label map does what here?  I get the impression from the docs that it would strip the VPN label before the frame goes into the VRF?

and the as you have the vt interface included inside the VRF I suppose the frames coming into the VRF from the CE interface are now just IP frames and get assigned the VPN label of the VRF and subsequent tunnel labels if they are propogated outwards?

cheers

JNCIS-M, JNCIS-SEC
Distinguished Expert
aarseniev

Hello there,

SapphireNET wrote:

Hi Alex

From your example Is my understanding correct:

your CE facing interface is ge-0/0/0.100 and recieves VPN label 1000949 from CE device?

so the pop on the label map does what here?  I get the impression from the docs that it would strip the VPN label before the frame goes into the VRF?

ge-0/0/0.100 is indeed CE-facing.

"Pop" action means stripping the MPLS label 100949 from incoming MPLS packet on ge-0/0/0.100 and sending resulting IP packet into vt-1/2/0.1

Static MPLS label maps do not do anything unless explicitly configured. Static MPLS label-maps do not even know 100949 is a VPN label.

and the as you have the vt interface included inside the VRF I suppose the frames coming into the VRF from the CE interface are now just IP frames and get assigned the VPN label of the VRF and subsequent tunnel labels if they are propogated outwards?

cheers

That's correct.

Rgds

Alex