Junos OS

last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Sync NTP problem.

Posted 08-10-2017 07:50

Which action would synchronize a new router's clock with NTP Server?

[edit system ntp}

user@routers# show

boot-server 172.25.11.254;

==================================

* is it necessary to configure the NTP server using " set server 172.25.11.254 " ?

*Issue the " set date ntp " operational command ?

* Should i Reboot the router  ?

• 2.  RE: Sync NTP problem.

Posted 08-10-2017 08:23

Hi,

set server x.x.x.x

set date ntp

Thats all..

• 3.  RE: Sync NTP problem.

Posted 08-10-2017 08:43

Which Statement would be correct?

A- Is it necessary to use " set date ntp " operational command. What if i only  configure the NTP server using " set server 172.25.11.254 " ? 

B-Is it necessary to use " set server 172.25.11.254 " command. What if i only  configure " set date ntp " ?

• 4.  RE: Sync NTP problem.

Posted 08-11-2017 01:54

Hi, 

> set date ntp x.x.x.x

is equivalent to ntpdate in *nix and instantly syncs with the NTP server queried and only happens when the command is executed.

# set system ntp server x.x.x.x 

configures the device to query the ntp server for sync at specific poll intervals. ntp will sync on the next poll cycle.

Reboot is not required for ntp sync.

Cheers,

Ashvin

• 5.  RE: Sync NTP problem.

Posted 08-15-2017 12:16

@SmoothCriminal wrote:

Which Statement would be correct?

A- Is it necessary to use " set date ntp " operational command. What if i only  configure the NTP server using " set server 172.25.11.254 " ? 

No. That only tells the switch/router to update now. If you configure the ntp server only, it may not sych if they are off by too far, I think 17 minutes. You may see some time drift messages.

B-Is it necessary to use " set server 172.25.11.254 " command. What if i only  configure " set date ntp " ?

Technically speaking, no. You can use a dns name e.g pool.ntp.org. You can also use "set date ntp 172.25.11.254" to tell the switch to synch up with a specific ntp server. But yes, you must configure an ntp server to be used.

If you only run the command to update/synch the time without an ntp server configured or specifying an ntp source, then you will simply get a message that no servers can be used. So it will not update.

Great source of information and explanations:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/pathway-pages/system-basics/time-management.pdf