Junos OS

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Traffic generator / stress test.

Posted 01-24-2014 00:31

Hi

I am fairly new to the networking industry and my understanding of routers is quite limited so any answers may need to be simplified, thanks.

I am investigating the possibility of stress testing several types of router (simultaneously or individually) by either using a windows program or by setting up a clever ping loop. The systems I am using are:

J2300

J2320

J4350

SRX240

SRX650

SRX3600

M7i

M10

MX960

Basically what I need to do is drive various rates and amounts of data through these routers (and obviously receive the traffic back to test the transmit) continuously to give the routers a thorough hammering, with little intervention as possible.

If Juniper have a test program or script that can run something like this automatically, that would be even better; but this seems to be the best way I can think to stress test these types of routers.

Many thanks for any help.

• 2.  RE: Traffic generator / stress test.

Posted 01-25-2014 13:48
    Hi Paul,

You can have a look on the program ixia chariot to test your devices on performance.

This program is a good solution to make different types of traffic, like tcp udp and icmp

Br

Maarten

• 3.  RE: Traffic generator / stress test.

Posted 01-27-2014 01:09

Hi Maarten

Thanks for the reply.

ixia chariot looks fantastic but also probably expensive and a little on the overkill side.

Have you any suggestions for cheaper maybe even free download application or is this unreasonable to suggest for the task i have in mind??

Regards

Paul

• 4.  RE: Traffic generator / stress test.

Posted 01-29-2014 00:38

iperf is maybe the solution you are looking for

but if you really want to test a MX960 you need to go with a hardware appliance to generate traffic.

Or use a proper network card and some programming skills to generate packets

• 5.  RE: Traffic generator / stress test.
    Best Answer

Posted 02-27-2014 00:07

Found the answer to my own question.

Check this out:

http://www.nsauditor.com/network_tools/network_traffic_generator.html