Junos
Contributor
Deimark

Unable to load a kernel!

Hi all

I have a J series J 2350 which came out the tin with a 9.2 install of Junos.

I have upgraded this to 9.6R2.11 and his a couple of issues.

1 was that after the upgrade, it did not seem to delete the old files and thus filled the file system.

I had this happen to me before cos I didnt add the exztra switches to the upgrade command to delete the old package but I was able to log on via console and manually delete this file.

This time I could not, I got operation not permittied from within the Junos and toor CLI.

I rebooted the device to see if this will fix it and it then failed to fond a kernel!

==========

Trying to boot from Primary Compact Flash (recovery partition) ...

Trying to boot from Primary Compact Flash ...                                   Con
soles: serial port
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS 639kB/1047360kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(builder@lanath.juniper.net, Tue Oct  6 19:54:46 UTC 2009)
Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf
Unable to load a kernel!
-
can't load '/kernel'
can't load '/kernel.old'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK
===============

I tried to follow the article at http://kb.juniper.net/KB12790 using a USB drive with the new package on it, but sadly this fails too however it does detect that a USB drive is attached.  I know this article is for EX switches, but unless I am mistaken, I cannot find an article soecific to J series

========

Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.
========

So now I have a bricked device that won't boot.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  A prompt reply would be greatly appreciated.

--
DM

JNCIP-SEC, JNCIP-ENT, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-FWV, JNCIS-SSL,JNCIA-AC, JNCIA-IDP

-----------
The art of diplomacy is saying "nice doggy" til you can find a rock.
Distinguished Expert
aarseniev

Re: Unable to load a kernel!

Have you tried downloading "install-media"file for J-series and then below procedure:

J-series Install Media:

The following packages are the same as the exported worldwide versions. As a result, these 
packages include the string "-export-". The images use the naming convention 
"junos-jseries-<release>-cfnnn.gz", where <release> is the software release version and 
nnn is the target compact flash card size in megabytes (128, 256, 512, or 1024).

* To recover a primary compact flash card:
      1. Plug the compact flash drive into a PCMCIA adapter or USB card reader on the host PC, 
      and verify that it is recognized by the operating system.
      2. Copy the JUNOS software image to the host PC and uncompress it with the gzip or WinZip 
      utility. The uncompressed image must have the same size as the target compact flash capacity 
      (128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1024 MB).
      3. Copy the JUNOS software image to the compact flash card with one of the following commands:
            CAUTION: You must use the correct target device name. Failure to do so might damage 
	    other storage devices connected to the host PC. 
          o On a UNIX PC, use the following command:
                  dd if=<filename> of=/dev/<device_name>
            Replace <filename> with the name of the uncompressed image, and <device_name> with the 
	    name of the raw PCMCIA card device. For example:
                  root# dd if=junos-jseries-<release-number>-export-cf128 of=/dev/hde
                  250368+0 records in
                  250368+0 records out
          o On a Windows XP or Windows 2000 PC, use the Norton Ghost or dd utility.

https://www.juniper.net/support/csc/swdist-domestic/InstallReadMe.txt

In the future, when you don't have enough space on J-series flash, please follow this KB article

http://kb.juniper.net/KB10800

Rgds

Alex

Deimark

Thanks for replying here.

Surely there must be another way to recover the kernel without having to crack open the chassis and remove the  flash card.  That seems a tad excessive and if I have to do that to every J series that dies like this, then I will not be using them for much longer.

The install media is the same tgz file that we would use to install or upgrade normally.

According to the otehr article I found, although it was specific to EX swtiches, AFAIK the same principal applies to the  J series boxes with regards to USB ports.  Am I wrong here?

I have raised a case with JTAC to try and get this resolved asap as I need this unit tp complete testing for a futire deployment.

I am at a bit of a loss here as to why and how this appened, but more importnantly, how to fix it quickly hehe.

D

--
DM

JNCIP-SEC, JNCIP-ENT, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-FWV, JNCIS-SSL,JNCIA-AC, JNCIA-IDP

-----------
Contributor
TravisJohnson

Any soloution to this yet?

If my post helped you, please feel free to give me kudos.
Contributor
Deimark

Sorry, I didnt post when it was fixed.

Basically JTAC took me through the EX restore process as before and after persevering with the process repeatedly, it worked.

--
DM

-----------
Trusted Contributor
rfrederick

I am confused by the statement that the install media is the same think that you did the upgrade with.  The install media is a raw dd-style image of a flash card for the platform.  So if you have a 1-gig CF card, you could basically do a byte-for-byte copy of this image to the card and have a functioning system again.  I do not understand how you would be using the install media to do an upgrade.

Ron

Contributor
Deimark

My mistake, it was form a long time ago.

The instlal media is different from the package to install.

--
DM

-----------
kay
Contributor
kay

Hi I ran into the same issue with a legacy router but I am not able to get the loader option

any ideas?

Thanks

Kay

Visitor
auniqbal

Hi DM, I know thi is a really old post but I have just hit the same problem on my J2320 router.

You must have done something differently to get it worked? I ahve followed your approach and I am getting the same error.

It detects USB but that all. Did you do anything differently?

Contributor
Deimark

Hiya bud

From what I remember, it was a lot of going through the reformat of the CF using a USB key following http://kb.juniper.net/KB12790.  It didnt work 1st time for some reason, but doing it several times did indeed kick it in and then seemed to work.

An alternative, is getting a working device and doing a system snapshot from that one and then using that USB snapshop to boot the new device and then recopy the snapshot to the failing node.  This does indeed wipe the CF and reformat in most cases.

Failing all that I am afraid you will have to wrestle with JTAC.

DM

--
DM

-----------
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.