Junos
Visitor
AdamClark

Understanding the Services PIC implementation on the J -Series

Hi All

I understand that the J-Series simulates the AS PIC as a software process, but here is my problem (which will be me not understanding).

I have access to a j4350 running 8.5 Enhanced Services, and when I do a show interface terse, I do not see the sp interface listed (although I can create it).  Also, I dont seem to have a services hierarchy which all the training documents reference, only a security hierarchy (which I thought only came with the ASM) which does not include statefull firewall setup.

If anyone can shed any light on what I should expect to see and when, I would be very grateful.  I am moving over from Cisco to Juniper and am trying to grasp the concept of services and services sets.

Trusted Contributor
dsinn

Re: Understanding the Services PIC implementation on the J -Series

The AS PIC is not emulated when running the Enhanced Services version of JunOS.  If you move the regular version of JunOS for the J-series then the AS PIC is emulated and all of the pseudo interfaces appear.  9.3 is the last release of regular JunOS for J-series.  Subsequent releases will all be Enhanced Services

David 

Visitor
AdamClark

Hi David

Thanks for that.  How do I use service-sets (next-hop-style) and stateful firewall rules with the Enhanced Services JUNOs.

Trusted Contributor
dsinn

Not really certain how that is accomplished in the Enhanced Services version of software.  I'm still only running the non-ES software.

David 

Distinguished Expert
rkim

Enhanced Services version is stateful firewall by default. You do not configure service-sets as such. In fact Enhanced Services version moves all services (nat, ipsec, stateful firewall) to security hierarchy. So you would need to put all interfaces within a security zone and apply security policies between zones. I would recommend reviewing J-Series Security Guides from here.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-jseries/index.html

-Richard

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.