Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Upgrading Junos OS with Upgraded FreeBSD

Posted 03-27-2017 10:11

Hi All,

I have a question with regard my first update in Junos from 13.3R7.4 to 15.1F4.15.

I read that these 2 release are baed on 2 different version f FreeBSD therefore during the upgarde all the fily systmes will be reformatted.

My question is, and what about the backup that I am going to create just before the upgrade (/altroot and /altconfig)? I am assuming that I could not use it (request system reboot media disk)unless I am not saving the backup on usb stick. Does it make sense?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading Junos OS with Upgraded FreeBSD

Posted 03-27-2017 17:21

That is my understanding as well.

Your safest backup approach in the upgrade process is to have a copy of the current system snapshot to USB.  Then if rollback is needed you can boot to the USB.

• 3.  RE: Upgrading Junos OS with Upgraded FreeBSD

Posted 03-27-2017 19:34

Hi Folks,
    You are correct,

Upgrading to Junos OS with upgraded FreeBSD reformats the file system. Only specific files and directories are preserved unless precautions are taken. By default, the upgrade process only preserves the following directories:

/config
    /etc/localtime
    /var/db
    /var/etc/master.passwd
    /var/etc/inetd.conf
    /var/etc/pam.conf
    /var/etc/resolv.conf
    /var/etc/syslog.conf
    /var/etc/localtime
    /var/etc/exports
    /var/etc/extensions.allow
    /var/preserve
    /var/tmp/baseline-config.conf
    /var/tmp/preinstall_boot_loader.conf

Moreover, we have to use no-validate to upgrade, request system software add package-name no-validate

Note: If you have important files in other directories, copy them from the router or switch to a secure location before upgrading the router or switch.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/junos-os-upgrading-kernel-freebsd10.html

• 4.  RE: Upgrading Junos OS with Upgraded FreeBSD

Posted 03-28-2017 02:23

Thank you for yours support on this. By booting via usb you mean create an emergency boot device right?

In any case, it seems quite hard to find installation-media file for mx-960.

Do you think, can I find it on official juniper website software download section?

Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Upgrading Junos OS with Upgraded FreeBSD
    Best Answer

Posted 03-28-2017 02:55

All the currently supported versions of Junos are on the support download site organized by platform.  

If you need a version that is no longer supported, you can still get it by opening a JTAC ticket and requesting the version you need.

https://www.juniper.net/support/downloads/?p=mx960