Junos OS

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  VPLS in conjunction with MSTP configuration MX platform 11.4 code - configuration needed

Posted 01-10-2012 11:12

I'm attempting to run MSTP in conjunction with a VPLS routing instance. The MX platform keeps complaining that I can only run MSTP with a vpls instance-type of layer2-control. Has anyone successfully done this before and if so can you share the exact configuration?

I'm only able to find snippits of configurations around this subject.

As a background, what i'm attempting to do is ring 2 or more aggregation switches back to a single MX router via 2 10gbps ports for link protection. I have to run spanning tree to avoid loops on the network. My switches speak MSTP and I can get this working if I just configure a routing instance as type layer2-control. However when I do this I am not able to build any VPLS pseudowires on either of the 2 interfaces that I have MSTP configured for.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: VPLS in conjunction with MSTP configuration MX platform 11.4 code - configuration needed

Posted 01-10-2012 12:33

• 3.  RE: VPLS in conjunction with MSTP configuration MX platform 11.4 code - configuration needed
    Best Answer

Posted 01-10-2012 13:13

Never mind, I know why its not working. I needed to do vlan based interface encapsulation. See the answer below.

When you configure integrated routing and bridging, you might also need to configure the Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP). When you configure MSTP on a provider edge (PE) router running VPLS, you must also configure ethernet-vpls encapsulation on the customer-facing interfaces.

VLAN-based VPLS interface encapsulations are not supported with MSTP.