Junos
Contributor
yurtesen

VPN/PPTP connection from windows...

Hello,

Perhaps a stupid question, but is there any documentation, examples etc. on how to setup JunOS 9.2ES to accept some sort of VPN connections from windows? I was looking around for a while and I havent found anything about this subject.

Thanks,

Evren

Distinguished Expert
rkim

Re: VPN/PPTP connection from windows...

As a matter of fact, we happen to have Knowledgebase articles on that very topic.

http://kb.juniper.net/KB10194

-Richard

Super Contributor
GuyDavies

Hi Evren,

Are you looking for examples where the J series running JUNOS-ES software is terminating the PPTP VPN or where it is passing through the traffic to an internal device that terminates the VPN?  Both of the KB articles to which Richard referred are related to the latter option.

I don't think that the JUNOS-ES software has the facility to terminate PPTP connections, but that isn't particularly my area of expertise so I could have missed something.

Rgds,

Guy 

Contributor
yurtesen

I have found the knowledgebase articles before. But they refer to VPN passthrough setups as far as I could see...

I want to terminate the connections in a j-series router with junos 9.2es.

My question is very similar to this one (which has no answer)

http://www.juniperforum.com/index.php?topic=7263.0

I dont need an elaborate setup with many users etc. There will be only one client...

Distinguished Expert
rkim

JUNOS with enhanced services cannot terminate VPN tunnels using the native Windows VPN client. That is because the Windows client suport only PPTP, L2TP or L2TP over IPSec. That is the limitation with the Windows native VPN client. None of these are supported with JUNOS with enhanced services. ScreenOS supports L2TP over IPSec, but no Juniper router/firewall supports termination of PPTP as this is Windows server protocol. I assumed PPTP pass-thru that was what you were looking for based on your subject.

JUNOS with enhanced services can only terminate IPSec VPN clients (without L2TP) such as NetScreen-Remote.

-Richard

Contributor
yurtesen

Rkim, it all makes sense now. For some reason, earlier I have associated netscreen with screenos only :smileyhappy:
Contributor
yurtesen

rkim, I have been trying to get this working for a while now. I have found this:

http://kb.juniper.net/CUSTOMERSERVICE/index?page=kbdetail&article_id=KB10177

I tried to make a similar setup without radius (used password authentication instead of radius), but I couldnt get it connect. I will post more info later when I try it again but is there some example configurations anywhere else?

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.