Junos OS

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  What is default behavior request system halt on Junos 10.3 - J-series 2350 and SRX650?

Posted 10-14-2010 01:32

I'm testing SRX650 and I want to turn it correctly off at end of my working hours. So the question is:

# What is default behavior request system halt on Junos 10.3 -  SRX650?

Or another question is:

# How to turn srx650 correctly with version 10.3?

I'm asking because we had 10.0 on SRX and as I wrote request system halt, and confirmed with yes, I saw:

request system halt
    Halt the system ? [yes,no] (no) yes

Shutdown NOW!
    [pid 1056]

*** FINAL System shutdown message from ... ***  
    System going down IMMEDIATELY

Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stoe
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru_mem' to stop...done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop...done
    Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
    Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...0 0 0 done

syncing disks... All buffers synced.
    Uptime: 18m52s
    Resetting all PIMs

The operating system has halted.
    Please press any key to reboot.

... and LED on back side CF ACT was red

but now (10.3) the led didnt turn ON

... and after that red light I remove power cord

# Also now with version 10.3 I cannot halt system by clicking power off button at front panel (and I want it). Is there a change in behavior between 10.0 or 10.3? Unfortunately I didn't find any.

Thanks

Jozef

• 2.  RE: What is default behavior request system halt on Junos 10.3 - J-series 2350 and SRX650?
    Best Answer

Posted 10-14-2010 07:21

I generally use

"request system power-off"

Which seems to actually turn off the power.  I think that the behavior is not entirely consistent among platforms and software versions, but I do not have the answers as to specifically when and why things change.

Ron

• 3.  RE: What is default behavior request system halt on Junos 10.3 - J-series 2350 and SRX650?

Posted 10-19-2010 04:54

Thank you for your remark rferedirck. I recognize that there is differences between srx650 and j2350 in junos cli statements

on srx650 you can only write request system halt (I didn't find anything similar)

but on j2350 you can type request system halt but also request system power-off.

I also found this http://juniper.fr/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/front-panel-srx650.html (read very last cell)

There is one last question: How to set power button on srx650 so that is functional in some way?