Junos OS

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  When ever I commit, I get license error

Posted 05-25-2015 19:39

JunipJ2350-R6# commit

robmin@JunipJ2350-R6# commit

/config/license/JUNOS221642.lic:1:(0) JUNOS221642: license not valid for this product
    commit complete

I pasted this in twice, I have no idea how the smiley got in the line, it must just be a coincidence of characters.

/config/license/JUNOS221642.lic:1:(0) JUNOS221642: license not valid for this product
    commit complete

This 'licensing error' message pops up everytime I change the configuration

and it seems to be a permanent part of my configuration under the T1-2/0/0 interface hierarchy.

Could I use the 'load replace monitor relative' command and just take out that messsage under the interface configuration?

I have been finding that it seems the licensing error message does not make any difference in the functionality of my learning configurations.  I came across a Juniper document concerning SRX issue that said just delete the license and the error message will stop popping up when configuration changes are made. 

1.) Does this apply to the J-series as well, and

2.) how would I delete the license?

I tried making a backup directory under /config called /license2 and moving the license file that was in /config/license to this backup directory. Rebooting made it so the t1 PIM was not even seen at all.  I put the file back and the PIM appeared again.

Obviously this is not the way to delete the license.

Obviously, I do not want to learn how to circumvent licensing in a production environment. This is only in my own lab. The SRX technical document did add to contact Juniper and get the correct license. But this is not an option as I could not afford to buy a license for only my own studying.  As I have said in other posts, I have already spent all my money and stretched my credit past the precarious level just getting the hardware so that I could study. And I still have to come up with the money for the test!

How serious is this? Should I send my router back?

robinhood

• 2.  RE: When ever I commit, I get license error

Posted 05-26-2015 10:05
    Can you share "show system license |no-more"

• 3.  RE: When ever I commit, I get license error

Posted 05-26-2015 10:41

robmin@JunipJ2350-R6> show system license | no-more
    License usage:
    Licenses Licenses Licenses Expiry
    Feature name used installed needed
    logical-system 0 1 0 permanent

Licenses installed:
    License identifier: JUNOS221642

THANKS very much. As I am also having the following problem, I am trying to decide if it would be better to return this router. It seems unusually low on flash.

Also, I cannot downgrade my OS to D45.2 after having upgraded to D50.2 (I did not see the recommended version until someone pointed me to the correct Juniper page. I have 432M Flash with 207 avail after every possible cleanup I could find in Juniper documents. And I even am trying to install from the USB drive witht the no-validate no-copy unlink command options and it still says:

2-domestic.tgz no-validate no-copy unlink                   
    Installing package '/var/tmp/usb/junos-jsr-12.1X44-D45.2-domestic.tgz' ...
    Verified junos-boot-jsr-12.1X44-D45.2.tgz signed by PackageProduction_12_1_0
    Verified junos-jsr-12.1X44-D45.2-domestic signed by PackageProduction_12_1_0
    Available space: -2955 require: 4696

WARNING: The /cf filesystem is low on free disk space.
    WARNING: This package requires 4696k free, but there
    WARNING: is only -2955k available.

WARNING: This installation attempt will be aborted.
    WARNING: If you wish to force the installation despite these warnings
    WARNING: you may use the 'force' option on the command line.
    ERROR: junos-12.1X44-D45.2-domestic fails requirements check
    Installation failed for package '/var/tmp/usb/junos-jsr-12.1X44-D45.2-domestic.tgz'

Removing /var/tmp/usb/junos-jsr-12.1X44-D45.2-domestic.tgz

Sorry to throw this 2nd question to you.  I really appreciate your help. I am trying to see if I have to return the router as I am having both of these issues.

show system storage
    Filesystem              Size       Used      Avail  Capacity   Mounted on
    /dev/ad0s1a             432M       220M       208M       51%  /  <<------------ I have even deleted log files (>clear log ?) aside from
    devfs                   1.0K       1.0K         0B      100%  /dev                           cleaning up the storage and delete-backup and
    /dev/md0                561M       561M         0B      100%  /junos                  looking for large files and not really finding any
    /cf                     432M       220M       207M       51%  /junos/cf                   flles that seemed large.
    devfs                   1.0K       1.0K         0B      100%  /junos/dev/
    procfs                  4.0K       4.0K         0B      100%  /proc
    /dev/bo0s1e              48M       3.5M        44M        7%  /config
    /dev/md1                168M        17M       138M       11%  /mfs
    /dev/md2                4.0M       4.0M         0B      100%  /cf/packages/mnt/jais-3.3R1.0
    /cf/var/jail            432M       220M       207M       51%  /jail/var
    /cf/var/log             432M       220M       207M       51%  /jail/var/log
    devfs                   1.0K       1.0K         0B      100%  /jail/dev
    /dev/md3                 39M       4.0K        36M        0%  /mfs/var/run/utm
    /dev/da0s1              119G        82G        37G       69%  /cf/var/tmp/usb

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

robin hood

• 4.  RE: When ever I commit, I get license error

Posted 05-26-2015 11:15
    Try deleting the license as in below url

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/task/operational/junos-licenses-deleting.html

Regarding memory, you may check the possibility of flash upgrade to 1gb

Also try "request system software delete-backup" and "system storage cleanup"

• 5.  RE: When ever I commit, I get license error

Posted 05-26-2015 11:28

THANKS,

I appreciate your help. This seemed to get rid of the message.

Can I confirm?  Will this result in losing any functionality?

Also, why did this error come up in the first place.  Did the license expire?  Was the wrong license put on?

Please explain as I am still trying to determine if there is anything amiss with this product and if I should return and purchase another?

THANKS.

P.S. I have already used those commands to find more space and there is still not enough space. I get some message about not having enough space to uproll (or unpack) the file. I am attempting to install without copying to the router, that is, installing from the USB stick itself. I was able to do this proceedure on other routers, but apparently the memory is so low that even this method doesn't have enough room??

THANKS again.

• 6.  RE: When ever I commit, I get license error
    Best Answer

Posted 05-26-2015 11:55
    I think incorrect license applied, not sure if logical systems are supported on j-series.

• 7.  RE: When ever I commit, I get license error

Posted 05-26-2015 12:12

I marked your answer as a solution.

I found this article. http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/topics/concept/logical-systems-overview-solutions.html

Yes, the J-series router is not listed as supporting logical systems. 

Is logical systems the same as a router-instance?

Thanks,

Also, Is there a place I can purchase Flash memory and how do you put it in?

Thanks you so much for your help. I am surprised at how hard it was for me to find the document you referenced me to.  I could not have done it without you!

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP, Tremendously.

robin hood