Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  compact FLASH purchase/install questions

Posted 05-26-2015 13:16

I am thinking that the best solution to my flash memory problem (too little) is to buy some and put it in.

Can anyone give me the break down?

[I just ran the command 'request system snapshot' and got: error: removable-compact-flash media missing or invalid] Does this have something to do with why every tho I do 'EXTREME CLEANING' I still don't have room for installing recommended junos version?

Found request system snapshow technical article

But still have errors regarding copying to the USB. Tried mounting and not mounting it. Tried adding the as-partition when I was getting the further error: error: usb media missing or invalid

This makes me think I should kind of understand the process I will have to go through to upgrade the Flash before I buy the one in the link below. I mean, I can't even make a system snapshot without hurdle after hurdle. So how will I get the router 'up and running' with a blank flash card and no backup?  I have a text copy of my configuration, and I have junos on my usb stick. It that all I will need?  THANKS

ORIGINAL:

Since this is a J2350, is there anything different about how it is done than in this link:Replacing or installing Compact Flash in Routing Engine

The reason I ask this is that is says: for more information on how to change the internal CF on various REs, which makes me wonder if this document is for higher end routers that have multiple REs. When I look through the document is definiately is talking about multiple routing engines, which my J2350 does not have (it has one routing engine).

1.) If i have 435M flash in my J2350 router now, can I add 1GIG Sandisk Compact Memory Card that was removed from a Juniper switch?

2.) If I replace my flash (if there is a 1G limit in J2350) with this card, how do you go about putting the JunOS and /or config back on from blank?

3.) Is there only 1 slot?  or is there more than one slot?

Can I just add a second card to get more memory into the router? Like a512M card and suppliment my existing flash memory?

- would this path keep me from the issue in number 2 ?

4.) Where do you open the router to see the flash memory?

Found two technical docs that answered this question:

How to get the cover off

Where the Compact Flash card is inside the router and how to get to it

I found this link to what looks like it would work to upgrade to 1G flash: does this look like the right piece?

1G Compact Flash for J-Series Routers

Thanks,

robin hood

• 2.  RE: compact FLASH purchase/install questions
    Best Answer

• 3.  RE: compact FLASH purchase/install questions

Posted 05-27-2015 15:00

Thanks very much. I really appreciate your help. I will be looking at these links soon as I did order a J-series 1G Flash upgrade card. I wonder if this maybe already has what I need to boot and get to the point that I can upgrade the junos.

VERY APPRECIATED!

robin hood

• 4.  RE: compact FLASH purchase/install questions

Posted 06-02-2015 02:55

Well, I got the 1G Compact Flash (CF) card. I found it incredibly easy once I got this card.

I had struggled with cleaning everything off that was unnecessary on the 512M card and still not being able to downgrade to the recommended version (D45.2) after I had been able to upgrade to D50.2 after having intially gotten the router.  So I kind of cornered myself by ugrading too far and then not being able to back down one version. (I wonder if there is really any reason not to run the newest version and if maybe the recommedations just haven't been updated to the most recent version that is actually available?)

Anyway, I couldn't believe after opening the J2350 case a copy of times and trying to boot with the new-used 1G CF and having the boot process continue to loop around from the Primary boot to the secondary boot partitions and not actually booting, I couldn't believe that I remembered an old card reader device I had bought about 6 or 7 years earlier. I did not even know what types of cards it would read. Lo and behold, it took a Compact Flash!!!!

So, excitedly, but with requisit amount of 'not getting my hopes up' due to all the hurdles that invariably appear when ever you try to do anything with technology, I plugged the card into the reader and the usb cable into the j2350.

I couldn't remember the commands, so instead of digging through all my supposedly well-organized text files on how to do things I had researched in the past, I did a search on 'startpage' and found this simple link: How to upgrade your Compact Flash.

ONLY TWO COMMANDS LATER and about 10 minutes, I powered off the router #request system halt, unplugged the power cable, pulled out the original 512M CF and put in the 1G CF. and acted like I wasn't really ennamored with what was going on on my console/putty window.  I didn't want to jinx it.

YAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

It actually booted into JUNOS. I guess when your excited about junos its ok to use the all capitalized version.

So now let's see if I can finally downgrade to D45.2 - so far its about through with the validation... I'll let you know...

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED ALONG THE WAY. I really appreciate you all!

robin hood

It worked!

Now the only remaining loose end regarding this router is those darn REALLY 'HARD TO FIND' brackets for the J2350.  My other two J-series routers had both enough memory and their brackets. This one was the first one I bought before I figured out how to be a little more discerning when shopping for lab learning equipment. Anyone have any ideas? Help me make it perfect! Smiley Happy

• 5.  RE: compact FLASH purchase/install questions

Posted 02-28-2017 13:48

Dear,

I have a similar trouble with a M20 router. I bought a 1 GB and 4GB CF, and I had other CF. My M20 router has a 256M CF:
    root@% df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/ad0s1a 217M 205M -5.0M 103% /
    It need more free space.
    I test all the CF that I have (2x1GB and 4GB) and none works.
    I have searched on various forum and nothing worked.
    My M20 router is always in the message: "Trying to boot from Compact Flash..." and after some minutes boot form the HD.

I formated all CFs form my windows PC, from the start shell with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0

https://mellowd.co.uk/ccie/?p=1188
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB10800&actp=search
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB11413&actp=search
    http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/task/configuration/routing-engine-flash-m10i-configuring.html

Could you help me, please?

I need help....